1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

blocked ears

Discussion in 'Personal' started by gingerwine, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Does anyone have any suggestions for unblocking ears. One of mine has been blocked for about 5 days and I can't clear it. Can't get an appointment to see a nurse until a week on Thursday. Could hardly hear my students today.

2. Warmed olive oil on cotton wool. Tip your head over to let in soak in!

3. Thanks. How often can you do this? I tried it last night but it didn't help.

4. Is your ear blocked due to infection (discharge/ pain) or wax? I would make a Drs appointment if you think it is an infection. I would go and see a pharmacist, they may be able to recommend an ear spray such as acetic acid (ear calm) if they think it is an infection, or various other products for wax build up. Also try holding you nose and blowinghard through your nose, this can help if your Eustachian tubes are blocked.

5. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

If you can get to a health food shop I swear by hopi candles (ear candles). I laughed when doctor first told me about them but they are amazing. You need someone to help you as you lay on your side, put candle in (its about 12 inches long) and it burns for about 15 mins leaving 3/4 inches. The suction effect caused by the flame literally sucks all the gunk out. You can peel the paper off round the remaining candle to see what has been sucked out if you have a twisted sense of interest as well.... (not that I ever have you understand...)

If not - warmed olive oil dripped into ear and massaged - but will take a few days normally.

6. Depends if it's wax or catarrh. If it's wax, probably Otex is worth a try. If you think it might be catarrh or sinus related, try an antihistamine and/or a decongestant plus steam inhalation. If it is really that bad I would try the GP and say you think you have an ear infection and need to see someone immediately. Is there any pain? What happens when you squeeze your nostrils and blow hard? Is it like being on a plane? Don't poke anything in there!

7. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I had this. It started out as hardly anything and a week later it was like wearing a massive ear plug. (Had to wait the week for the appointment) Dr said put olive oil in a few times a day to loosen the wax. Was horrendous though, had to turn my good ear to the pupils lol.

8. I think it is wax - I did think it was blocked sinuses but decongestants etc didn't help. Yes it does feel like being on a plane and am definitely going deaf on that side. Doesn't hurt though.
    I didn't know you buy those ear candles - I though you had to go somewhere and have that done - might see what I can find tomorrow.
    Thank you for all the replies.

9. lilipad - did the dr syringe them? never had that done.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

NO, NO, NO
    Nothing smaller than your elbow should be put into your ears according to my ENT consultant.

sudafed or similar decongestant
    cut out dairy produce
    no chocolate
    if you can stand it you could steam

11. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

(should have added = without your doctor's explicit instructions to do so...)

12. The cotton wool doesn't go inside the ear Seren it is placed on top. I have been doing this for years (the whole time I've been under ENT).

13. How do I steam my ear? I'll try anything!

14. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

I just get mine from holland and barretts:

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=718&prodid=766&sid=0&bid=264

It helps if you can do the olive oil thing a few times before as well as it loosens the wax. If you can avoid having them syringed I really would - most doctors are loathe to do it as it does carry a risk of bursting your ear drum and actually it can make the wax production worse as it irritates the hairs/ear wall which means they will produce wax. It will also be at least a week until they do it from your first appoinment as they ask you to do the olive oil thing twice a day for a week beforehand. I suffered terribly from this as a child and it rears its head every now and again as an adult but I find a few days of oil and a candle clears them. The old ways are sometimes the best...

15. Thank you - I can probably get to a Holland and Barrett tomorrow - if it hasn't closed down like most of the shops in my nearest town!

16. As a musician I'm prone to the odd bit of unwanted wax, I do the Olive Oil thing regularly when I get a build up. I do it twice and day and normally within a few days it softens and trickles out.

17. Pageant

Pageant New commenter

At last I can tell someone about my saviour - audiclean. It's £6.99 from Boots and is a spray that doesn't smell like those horrible wax removers. Brilliant stuff. My local chemist orders it for me as I run out and gets it in the next day. It's been brilliant (discovered it in Germany in a moment of desperation on holiday).
    My ears were constantly blocking up and needed syringing most years. I was told it was because I have the narrowest ear canals anyone (two doctors and a nurse) has ever seen. At least I'm unique in something [​IMG]
    Never needed them syringing since using this amazing product.

18. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I can thoroughly recommend a good ear syringing. I suffered from a blocked ear (along with blocked sinuses and a lost sense of taste/smell) following a heavy cold a couple of years ago and after loosening with warm olive oil for a week, had the ear syringed at my GP's. It was incredible. I imagine it could be quite addictive. What eventually emerged from my ear was fairly repulsive, though.

19. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

i once had my ear vacuumed at the hospital. 0_0 it was a lot quicker and cheaper than drinking 8 bottles of scotch. which is what it felt like was happening! the sensation passed after a few seconds but by god, i never want to be that drunk for real. very effective though!

20. I have to have my ears 'vacuumed' regularly and I absolutely hate it!