1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Blind mate needs help -advice please-

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lurk_much, Oct 27, 2011.

1. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

I was chatting to a friend this morning. He is blind, proper blind, not visually impaired. I was shocked that he doesn't have some sort of navigation app for android or iphone that allows him to go where he likes, stick in a post code sat nav style but using busses. All to be done verbally.
    I tried the RNIB and their website is useless, their tech team do not answer the phone.
    Does anyone have any advice?

what apps which phone
    android or iphone
    touch screen/ camera/ speech recognition
    what helps most ?

2. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

3. v12

v12

Of course, in the good old days, my Grandfather (who was also proper blind!) relied on his various guide dogs (I think he got through three in total).
    Oh, and his over-burdened wife helped a little as well.
    Mind you, he died 30 years ago before even the iPhone 1 was a twinkle in anyone's eye.

4. moonpenny

5. I taught a blind student (in my mainstream setting) for two years and he used very little in terms of apps etc. He had a specially set up phone that spoke to him but a touch screen would have been of little use because, well, he couldn't see it! Same goes for a camera. Speech recognition or a good old fashioned 'button' type phone seemed to be the way to go for him.
    In fairness, he didn't need GPS or anything like that because he had a guide dog.
    There are other organisations that might have information, the Macular Degeneration Society for instance. I do agree about the RNIB website though.
    If I remember any of the contacts we used a couple of years ago to help our student then I'll pop back and post them here.

6. lurk_much

cheers
    I am at a disadvantage as I don't bother with iwhatsit or android. It did strike me that the apple app where you tell the phone to email or text should link into a satnav function. it is a blindingly obvious app to link with google maps and the bus timetable.

All too often technology solves problems we don't have.

7. http://abilitynet.wetpaint.com/page/iPhone,+Ipod+Touch+-+Accessibility+%26+Apps
    http://assistivetechnology.about.com/od/ATCAT1/a/Book-Helps-Blind-And-Visually-Impaired-Access-Apples-Iphone.htm
    There's a couple of links that might help.
    I just googled 'mobile phone maps blind access' and there were quite a few interesting links that came up. (I'd have carried on but my internet is grinding to a halt!).
    As you say, it does seem "blindingly" (!) obvious to link maps/bus timetables. If there isn't an app, perhaps you could design one [​IMG]
    Po

8. lurk_much

cheers poeme (and MP)
    It might give my life purpose!

My mate now has a chap from the RNIB tech team booked to ring him in the next two weeks. I think I need to try and get some sort of grasp on it before then and talk it through with him. He finds internet research quite impossible and his carers are barely literate so your links are appreciated.

9. moonpenny

10. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Whilst creating new ones, we don't need.
    *I hope you can improve your friend's lot in life. Sorry i can't add anything useful. Good lurck*

11. lurk_much

12. v12

v12

Ooo. My Grandfather was the conceiver and original presenter of In Touch from 1961-71.