1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Bleurgh mouldy windows!!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lillipad, Jan 1, 2012.

  1. lillipad

    lillipad New commenter

    I live in a rented flat and it isn't double glazed, it has those old style windows with 6 panes of glass. I don't know the technical term! Sorry! Anyway, I gave the windows and window sills a good clean when I moved in, and then over the summer noticed they were a bit green and mouldy so wiped them down with some cleaner and a cloth... Went away for Xmas, came back and noticed that once again, they were green, and the blinds had bits of white fluffy mould growing on them! I've just cleaned them AGAIN with hot water and Dettol mould and mildew remover which did a really brilliant job as they're now sparkling! But my question is, is there anything I can do to stop them from going like that again? Or to slow the process down? I've got my windows open to give the room a good airing, and the heating is on twice a day at the moment... Anything else I can do?
     
  2. PlymouthMaid

    PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

    A dehumidifier would probably help. My house seems to grow fungus really easily without one even tho I open doors and have heating on. I do have to dry clothes indoors in the winter which doesnt help.
     
  3. BelleDuJour

    BelleDuJour Star commenter

    Yes. A dehumidifier will help but I doubt you'll solve the problem completely.
     
  4. phlogiston

    phlogiston Star commenter

    Yuk!
    Been there!
    It's a difficult problem to solve - too much water vapour inside the flat, condensing on cold surfaces.
    Water can get into the atmosphere in your flat from several sources: drying clothes, cooking, hot baths / showers, breathing are some of the major sources (someone else will think of some more). It can be difficult to avoid some of these (especially the breathing).
    To avoid condensation you might think about:
    Obsessively wiping down the windows on a regular basis - perhaps using mildew killer to help. Wring out the cloth down the sink or outside. Try not to dry it indoors.
    Putting some of that cling-film like "double glazing" stuff over your windows during the colder months.
    Keeping the bathroom and kitchen doors closed (and their windows open) after generating water vapour. Use saucepan lids where possible.
    Drying clothes in a way puts the water vapour outside - this is difficult, especially if you are at work during daylight hours
    Getting a dehumidifier
    Persuade the landlord to install double glazing.
    You probably do some of this already, some of it's probably impractical for your circumstances, but I hope something helps. In some homes it's very difficult to avoid condensation.
    Best wishes for a drier and less mouldy new year.
    P


     
  5. We rent an old cottage with an open untanked cellar. The 2 rooms above it get black mildew on the metal framed windows.
    We can't avoid it so we just manage it and accept that over winter it will get ahead of us a little.
    1) keep the flat aired as much as possible. The greater the airflow the better.
    2) avoid condensation making activities, already listed
    3) wipe the windows down with the mildew and mould stuff once a week.
    Basically we now just do 1 and 3 and accept that it will always be there.

    A friend rented her flat out to a nice seeming couple who promptly tried to sue her for contributing to their ill health. Her flat grew mould and mildew on almost every surface whilst they lived there. It turned out they hardly ever went out, never opened the windows and had the heating on full time. The council (who paid the rent) initially tried to blame our friend and withhold payments but, on investigation, offered my friend compensation when they moved out.
    I'm not saying this is anything like your situation (please don't think that!!), but wanted to illustrate that normal living in a space that is never aired and possibly kept over warm can grow mould like topsy!
     
  6. Lara mfl 05

    Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

    All advice offered so far good. Even with a dehumidifier<u> and</u> double glazing, we still have problems in the bedrooms, which my family prefer unheated, so moisture is always going to collect and the dehumidifier makes too much noise to have it on during the night.
    Bicarbonate of soda is a quick, fairly cheap mildew remover and drying thoroughly and then smearing on vaseline (or equivalent) on as a repellent helps a little.
     
  7. We live in a Victorian house - we actually installed double glazing to try to remedy this problem. The old sash windows just poured with condensation in the winter ... We were literally mopping it up in the main bedroom, it never really dried out during the cold months. We had mould growing on windows and walls due to condensation and had one particularly horrific experience when we discovered a massive mould patch behind a large wardrobe that was placed against an outside wall. We have since moved this wardrobe to an internal wall and have not had a recurrence of mould.

    The double glazing has really helped ... No more mopping of soaking windows ... But we still have some condensation in the main bedroom, which is north facing, so we still get some little mould spots on window frames. I don't think there is a huge amount you can do apart from keep the room ventilated and don't leave curtains or blinds closed all day, let the air circulate. Keep wiping up excessive condensation. We tried a dehumidifier but it never got on top of the problem. Double glazing was the only thing that significantly helped.
     
  8. grandelf

    grandelf New commenter

    Would also say a dehumidifier.

    We have the same issue, mold around double glazed windows.

    Picked up a dehumidifier from argos (&pound;100) and it has made a massive difference.
    Ran it for 3 days (swapping between bedrooms and living room) for 12 hours at a time.

    Now we run it for about 6 hours once or twice a week, and so far the mold hasn't been back!
     

Share This Page