1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Blendspace in tes

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, Sep 29, 2020.

1. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

What on earth is this about.I have had a message suggesting my data is to be transferred to some Mexican sounding bank in California? Seems as if some of TES ownership is on the move. Has anyone heard of this Blendspace. I didn't even know it existed.
    Or is it related to information for resources?

2. 7eleven

7eleven Senior commenter

I had this email as well. I just deleted it.

May2 likes this.
  3. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I presume Blendspace is some software used in lesson preparation.

4. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Blendspace is a digital learning platform for teachers to access various resources and forge bundled and interactive lessons. It is the easiest way to blend your classroom with digital content.

Blendspace.com (now known as TES Teach) is an online tool by the education curriculum company TES.com. It is a tool that was created and is used for collecting and bundling information for multiple uses. It is not only accessible to the non-tech savvy teacher but also to the students across levels, grades, and subject areas. The goal of Blendspace is to enable teachers in seamless “blend” of into the classroom in an efficient and effective way.

Blendspace is a digital learning platform for teachers to access various resources and forge bundled and interactive lessons. It is the easiest way to blend your classroom with digital content. Certainly, blendspace is a tool that provides many possibilities. It is not only used as a method to curate resources or flipping of the classroom but also to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of the classroom in the long run.

Why use Blendspace?
    • Easy creation and collection of web resources,
    • Integration of online content (such as videos, images, etc.) with a single link,
    • Tracking of student progress,
    • Personalization in student learning in real-time through “classes”,
    • Easy accessibility of content, anywhere and anytime with an internet connection,
    • A better way to communicate and collaborate with the students,
    • To have a positive impression on the classroom,
    • Differentiated lessons with different online materials and built-in assessment,
    • Easy display and view, and
    • Easy sharing and collaboration.

sashalarge and oldsomeman like this.
  5. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

'A better way to communicate and collaborate with the students'. Better than what? A fairly vacuous statement.

6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I'd never heard of it either, found it here on a site search. https://www.tes.com/lessons/dashboard

Text of the email I just received is below. I think it means that TES has sold Blendspace to the company in California. Information about you will only be transferred to the new owner if you give specific consent, so if you ignore and delete nothing will happen to your data, it will stay with TES.

Following the notification placed on Blendspace in June 2020, we’re writing to confirm the change of ownership of Blendspace to its original owners Mas Espacio Blanco Inc of Oakland, California.

You haven’t opted in to have your data shared with Mas Espacio Blanco Inc, which would enable you to continue using Blendspace in the future. This means from November 2020, you’ll no longer have access to Blendspace or any lessons you created on Blendspace and we’ll be erasing all your Blendspace related data.

If you would like to continue using Blendspace uninterruptedly, you can opt in by following this link to give us permission to transfer your data to Mas Espacio Blanco Inc.

As a reminder, the data we’ll provide includes your name, email address and Tes user details. If you haven’t opted in by 4 October 2020, we’ll be unable to opt you into the data transfer sharing and your lesson data will be erased.

The comment "Following the notification placed on Blendspace in June 2020..." is intriguing but not explained!

oldsomeman likes this.
  7. oldsomeman

Sorry I seem I am not savvey in this one. Thank you for your answers. The reason for transfer of your data is that it can be stored differently to the present standard I assume.As i never agreed to being part of it (other than by joining by not ticking out) Im supprised what they might use my data for other than selling items or ideas.I have never used such material or platforms, although I did consider using online teaching at the beginning of the convoid 19 problem but never looked at this package. actually didnt realise it was there!
    So if I ignore then my data stays in the UK?

guinnesspuss and mothorchid like this.
  8. Rott Weiler

Yes. Under GDPR/Data Protection Act 2018 TES, a UK company, cannot share or transfer your personal information to another company in the USA without your specific consent. So if you do nothing your data stays with TES and the purchaser of Blendspace cannot access it.

oldsomeman likes this.
  9. Bungie

Bungie Occasional commenter

This ghastly gobbledegook makes me want to scream! It wastes time and is unproductive! Why do people bother with this nonsense?

sbkrobson likes this.
  10. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

I had an email to. I'd never put any lessons on it though there was a heading for volcanoes, but no lesson, under my name . Don't know where that came from, I deleted the "volcanoes" on blendspace and deleted the email. I've never put a lesson or resources up on tes.

11. oldsomeman

Thank you, I gathered that might happen but just wanted to be sure.

12. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

I don't think so

13. Rott Weiler

Well I do. Which bit of "information about you will only be transferred to the new owner if you give specific consent, so if you ignore and delete nothing will happen to your data, it will stay with TES" do you disagree with? [The second quote box isn't my words, just a copy+paste of the TES email we are talking about.]

14. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

The transfer of data relates to users' Blendspace resources (and details of the owners). If the resources are not transferred, they will be deleted. Other data is not within the scope of the transfer.

15. Rott Weiler

It doesn't say that. The email speaks for itself.

As a reminder, the data we’ll provide includes your name, email address and Tes user details.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  16. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

If TES is flogging our email addresses, would it not have been courteous to inform us?

17. Rott Weiler

They aren't.

18. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

OP-your profile shows that you have created and displayed a lesson in Blendspace and it bears a name.
    You post as if you do not know this.
    You wont be the first.
    It is a recurring issue.
    Users have fiddled about trying to find out how to create resources on here to share and a lesson is created in Blendspace attached to their profile.
    Many posters don't spot this.
    Many posters don't have their name set to private.
    It all defaults to a public view couched behind one click on your user profile.
    It irritates me no end because it is auto saved, it is not obvious how to remove it, and the default setting is to display your name.

I've written about this here before,and I and a few other posters said they did the same-contact members who post extra sensitive information eg work dispute, capability, and tell them that their full name is there to see.
    I don't know who is responsible for this functionality or how it is embedded into a user account, but it is pernicious in it's lack of transparency. .

19. oldsomeman

Your correct, I seem to have, but there is nothing there. I started but never continued. Well they are welcome to unfinished work that never started.I cant find a way to delete it even in those long gone days.
    I don't want my details transferred so if I refuse to click the box it will be lost.Fine!
    However ,are you suggesting that by accessing my 'lesson' others can read my identidy and details,
    One reson i stopped writing on news and other places is because they printed my own name as the writer. If this is so with the resouce I need to chase TES as its suppossed to be secure and not readable.
    (probably would breach data protectionl aws.)