1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

bleeding after sex!!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by vikingmaid, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Its been a while since I last had sex(about a year!!;( But have bleedquite a lot after. I'm 47 and last smear (as always) noraml about a year ago?? very worried now?

2. Go to your GP NOW.
    Get it checked out IMMEDIATELY.

3. I echo Lily.
    What on earth are you waiting for? Get to the doctor asap.
    It could be something harmless, It could be something very serious. Don't rest on your laurels asking randoms on TES and searching the net.

4. Dr says all looks and feels ok, last ultra sound and smear (18mnts) all normal, thinks it is strings of coil rubbing and irritating. Have taken swab and booked xray to check coil is deffinately in the same place. Feel more reasurred[​IMG]

5. That is good to hear. If I were in your position i might be asking for another smear.

6. I'm a bit confused by this post. Do you mean that you last had sex a year ago and after that you bled alot, and have only just gone to see your GP. Or that you hadn't had sex for a year, had sex recently and bled afterwards?
    Either way I'm pleased you have been to the doctor.

7. Do go to the doctor straight away.
    Don't panic yet.
    Mine turned out to be polyps. I had a D+C and was right as ninepence afterwards.

8. Errrr yes, but it it isn't polyps? If it's cancer?

9. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

...because we're all different and we don't all have the same ailments even if the symptoms look similar.

10. Be fair now! I didn't put any money on the outcome. I was just sharing.
    I did say go to the doctor and panicing helps nothing at all.
    It's being so cheerful that keeps you two going now isn't it.

11. If I'd been cheerful about the tiny black spot on my forehead I'd have galloping malignant melanoma by now. If I'd not bothered the doctor with that probably nothing lump in my breast, I'd be nursing a whopper phyllodes tumour now whose potential for malignancy increases with size. It's being watchful that keeps me going.

12. Golly!
    (I've toyed with a variety of Blind Pew jokes and renditions of 'tumour ar, tumour ar I'll love ya tumour ar' but disregarded them as being in bad taste.)

13. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

That would have been the right decision :)

14. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

vikingmaid, could you ask for another smear test?
    There are lots of harmless things it could be, but a smear would rule out some of the scarier ones. Cells can sometimes become 'abnormal' and need treatment to prevent them becoming more so.

15. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I won't deny it.
    Honestly, though, I know you weren't meaning to dissuade the OP from taking it completely seriously, but you see a lot of people on H & W offering their 'It'll be nothing' stories and they do need to be countered with the 'But...' stories.

16. I can assure all readers that I am just as cheerful as my avatar.

17. I'd love to pop something pithy on here now, something that I could use my dibber on the bingo card for.
    Sadly, I got nothing. Brain's gone awol.
    Poor old OP. The dry spell ends but the flu needs sweeping.
    Isn't that just typical.

18. You are right to go straight to the doctor, but try not to panic.
    One of the common causes is an Ectropian Cervix. It's when the cells that are normally on the inside of the cervix grow on the outside nearer to the vagina, and they are raised compared to the normally flat cells so are easily aggravated and bleed during sex - especially when you are not fully aroused as your vagina does not lengthen as much and it can be 'grazed' during sex. This is what happens to me, and it also happens when I have a smear.
    Im not saying it IS that, and it does need checking out, but there are many less serious reasons than the big C and you don't need to jump to conclusions and panic. Sounds like you've done the right thing anyway.

19. Ectropian Cervix can cause bleeding. Treatment usually involves freezing.