1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Blatant Scrounge

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by cyolba, May 29, 2012.

1. Here is the gamekeeper turned poacher. My delightful place of employ is considering starting up the AQA FSMQ course for our, shall we say, motivationally and intellectually challenged (and challenging) VIth formers from September, and I was wondering if anyone has been piloting it or has knocked up any resources?
    Any assistance gratefully received. I might even promise to tone down the sweariness of my more ranty posts and perhaps even give assistance to the next person asking for a lesson plan for their interview. Who knows, there's even a chance of me being positive about whyPads and (notvery)smartphones in the classroom. [​IMG]
    cyolba, more in hope than expectation :)

2. Here is the gamekeeper turned poacher. My delightful place of employ is considering starting up the AQA FSMQ course for our, shall we say, motivationally and intellectually challenged (and challenging) VIth formers from September, and I was wondering if anyone has been piloting it or has knocked up any resources?
    Any assistance gratefully received. I might even promise to tone down the sweariness of my more ranty posts and perhaps even give assistance to the next person asking for a lesson plan for their interview. Who knows, there's even a chance of me being positive about whyPads and (notvery)smartphones in the classroom. [​IMG]
    cyolba, more in hope than expectation :)

3. Hi Cyolba
    Do you mean the GCSE Certificate in Maths (that includes the Level 2 FSMQs) or AS Use of Maths (that includes the Level 3 FSMQs)? I'm guessing possibly the former, but I could be wrong!
    Liz

4. Thanks for the responses. It was the GCSE equivalent one, as most of the VIth formers have difficulty finding their pens or telling the time to turn up for lessons...
    cyolba, too little information :)

5. not a clue what you're on about. if you buy a whypad, download MathsTrainers Pro for free, then comment on iTunes how wonderfully useful and earthshaterringly brilliant it is i will definitely consider reading the original post.

regards
    AlexWatt (male)

6. Thanks lixxiec, I shall look into it.
    We're going to be doing the level 2 stuff, sntbt, so I'm not sure your ideas will be useful, but thanks for replying.
    ALEXWATT - iTunes is crap.
    cyolba, already looking forward to September :)

7. The time will come for electronic publishing and iPads/tablets but it won't be on the back of multiple choice apps, it will be as a replacement for textbooks. At the moment things are not taking off because there simply are not enough iTextbooks out there.
    I like iTunes for music but as a piece of software it has become bloated over the years and now tries to be all things to all men.

8. But when will it be cost effective to have whyPads as eTextbooks? The publishing houses are unlikely to give up the revenue streams, so they will charge for downloading their resource. You then have the costs of the whyPads themselves, together with xharging them, keeping the kids from breaking them etc (much more expensive than replacing a graffitti ridden or ripped textbook).
    Let's say that the publishers halve the cost of getting a textbook download. Thus, a Maths dept can have 30 whyPads per room, with the relevant books on. That's £400 plus, say, 6 textbooks @£10 a throw (assuming you teach 6 classes and each book currently costs £20). Total cost = £460, as opposed to £120 for getting the actual books.
    cyolba, going off topic :)