1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Blardy cheek!!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by PizzoCalabro, Sep 7, 2015.

1. PizzoCalabro

PizzoCalabro Established commenter

Signed up with a new agency this year, all fine, seems on the level.

Call today re advance booking ofr tomorrow. Yes I am free.

Casually then mentioned is at cover supervisor rate.

Okay, sorry, no, I am not free for a cover supervisor role. Thanks anyway.

I would rather clean the fridge [​IMG]

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Or instead of cleaning the fridge, tell them you are otherwise occupied rearranging your sock drawer.

3. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Tell them that you are not interested in a CS rate booking because other agencies can keep you fully booked with teaching jobs.

4. You know, changing the name of the role doesn't make it different than what it is. The aim is to pay £60-£80 instead of £120 to undercut other agencies.

I do know as a matter of fact that, wanting to pay cover supervisor rate is not an indication of how the teacher's skills are perceived and in my experience it doesn't help to make the agency offer or negotiate with the school the appropriate rate once the lower rate is accepted even if on the quiet days.

5. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

One of agencies for which I (very seldom) work tries to disguise the cover supervisor role, and the pathetic pay that goes with it, by calling it a 'learning facilitator', which pays the same. For some reason, all the ones I have been 'offered' have been so far away I would have been lucky to break even.

I am surprised that a CS gets £60 - 80 per day, as in London £40 - 50 seems to be the norm.

6. andrew07

andrew07 Occasional commenter

Only £40...WOW!

7. Teachers should be protected by having teachers' pay and conditions apply to avoid this. After all, the word 'anarchy' has been used for a reason to describe the current situation.

8. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

Agencies are not statutory education service providers so teacher's pay and conditions do not apply per se or we would all be paid over £160 per day. This is why unions are campaigning to get agencies out of teaching and to stop the increasing casualisation of the schools work force.

On the subject of CS versus teacher pay rate question, there is some legal protection. If the school has booked a supply teacher and is paying the agency the rate for a teacher, they are entitled to a supply teacher and you are entitled to be paid at a teacher's rate. Failure to disclose this to the school is a breach of contract on the agency's part and is not compliant with Conduct of Employment Agencies legislation. Likewise if the school has booked you on CS rates just to save money, but expects you to do the full teacher's job, they are breaching their contract with the agency.

You are goods being traded in good faith that you fit the description. If the "in good faith" thing is not honoured, it's lawsuit time. Not that I am aware of anyone actually taking this to litigation. I do not know of any agency that has sued a client school or vice versa.