1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bladder surgery for those who cannot go on a trampoline!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by BelleDuJour, Jan 13, 2012.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

OK ladies (this one is not for the menfolk), following on from Lil's handy household hints onpersonal here's what to do if childbirth has wrecked your bladder!
    I had surgery in 2007 after 10 years of 'not being able to use a trampoline'.
    The op was called TVT (trans vaginal tape) or a sling operation.
    It sorted me out and I've not looked back.
    Brilliant.
    Don't be embarassed.................go to your GP for a referral.
    Op done one day, home the next day and fully recovered very soon afterwards. Can be done under local or general anaesthetic.
    Voila!!!!

2. BelleDuJour

OK ladies (this one is not for the menfolk), following on from Lil's handy household hints onpersonal here's what to do if childbirth has wrecked your bladder!
    I had surgery in 2007 after 10 years of 'not being able to use a trampoline'.
    The op was called TVT (trans vaginal tape) or a sling operation.
    It sorted me out and I've not looked back.
    Brilliant.
    Don't be embarassed.................go to your GP for a referral.
    Op done one day, home the next day and fully recovered very soon afterwards. Can be done under local or general anaesthetic.
    Voila!!!!

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

I've had to use Tena Lady for some time now - just don't feel 'safe' if I don't. What stage do you have to be at to go to the doctor about it? I am completely unable to 'stop the flow' when on the loo if that is an indicator of level of loss of control. Also have to make a dash first thing in the morning and coughs and sneezes are a real problem.
    (I made the mistake of having a go on a trampoline at a friend's house a few years ago and was amazed at the loss with each jump - soon got off!)
    This feels very personal to write about - thank goodness for anonymity!

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

IF, what do you mean<u> IF</u>?
    Childbirth and wrecking one's bladder just seem to come as a '2 for1' for many of us!
    Exercises can help, but I know find I've the opposite problem - I stop (what turns out later to be midstream, thinking I've 'finished and then 5 mins later need to go again.
    Mum had her bladder repair and was in hospital for 3 days, so I suppose it does depend!

5. jellycowfish

jellycowfish New commenter

I had it done last year - in for 24 hours, under general anaesthetic. The trigger was sneezing on my way to the drs (about a different problem) and realising that this just couldn't go on! Plus joining a zumba class with almost disastrous consequences!!

6. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

When I discussed this issue years ago with my GP, he said they prefer to wait until someone has completed her family before doing a repair.

7. My mum had the same op' as Belle a few years ago and it has completely transformed her life. She would recommend it to anyone with problems "down there".

8. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

It was bad after my last child about 10 years ago. ie the day I was late for nursery pick up and had to run, I was very glad that it was torrential rain and my trousers were soaked from the rain so noone could tell I had literally wet myself. It gradually got better and I tried to do pelvic floor. Ironically I did them religiously daily before kids and pregnancy as we had a PE lecturer at uni who told us to do them because teachers get into bad habits and cant always go when they need, so weaken the bladder. Since pregnancy and kids I just dont remember. I now find them very difficult and cant hold for long. I can stop the flow though. My problem is that I dont think my bladder empties properly so I dribble anything upto 5 mins later. I now spend ages rocking to ensure I have got rid of everything. I am worse in the week before my period when sneezing, jumping etc. I dont think it helps that I am also heading for early menopause and have certainly been perimenopausal since my mid 30s.
    My sister has just been to the GPs for same problem but she has initially been sent to physio where she has been given obligatory pelvic floors to do, I think she was at least expecting those cone things, as as a nurse she already knows and does pelvic floors.
    I knew someone who had botox injections down there. It was very painful for her, despite being told it wouldnt hurt much, but it did work. Dont think it lasts forever though so think she will have to be done again in about a year.

9. My sister had this done about 10 years ago after having had four children, she is only 4'11" and her last was over 9lbs! She said it was brilliant and can now trampoline again; it was suggested she wait until after the menopause but she said I'm not living with panty liners for the next 10-15 years and that she'd have it done again if required!
    Belle - I'm interested to hear how quick your recovery was. Could you drive, lift things etc etc soon afterwards? I think my sister couldn't drive for six weeks. I really should have it done but am a chicken. [​IMG]

10. Oops, sorry about the typos, too late to edit when I returned after stirring the lasagna!

11. jellycowfish

Don't know about Belle, but my recovery was instant. I would have driven home if I'd brought the car (though probably not recommended after a GA!) I was absolutely fine - was told to be around people the first day in case I was drowsy. I was offered a sick note for 2 weeks, but as I was doing 1-1 tutoring and wouldn't have been paid, I was back at work 2 days after surgery. Absolutely no ill effects. Would recommend it to anyone (although apparently it's not always successful).

12. Wow, that's amazing! I'd heard that it was a bit like the recovery following a section.
    Maybe I should go for it.
    Can I be rude and ask how old you are jelly?

13. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

I see I need to go and talk to my GP! I only have trouble if I've got a bad cold, coughing or sneezing and then not always. I can run, dance, jump etc. if I don't need to go to the loo but would leak a bit if I did. I do pelvic floor exercises but thought you had to be really leaking before anything could be done. Having had 5 children, and 2 were 10lbs (well just under and just over), I sort of thought it would be inevitable one day.

14. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

Thanks for posting about this Belle. It seems that there are a lot of us about. I only really noticed when I bought a mini trampoline and promptly found myself unable to use it as I would leak with every bounce. I have a bad cough at the moment which makes life tricky. I think I am too chicken at present to get anything done about it.

15. jellycowfish

I'm 47. My first child was 10lb 7, got stuck coming out and I was torn inside as well as having an episiotomy, I don't think my pelvic floor stood a chance after that. (although my next 2 children were smaller) I did all the pelvic floor things to no avail. I leaked when sneezing, coughing, jogging, trampolining, even moving suddenly or when shouting! And even if I'd just been to the loo, Teaching PE was always a very delicate operation.

16. BelleDuJour

Same here. Recovery was very quick. My pubic bone area was rather swollen and bruised for a few days but really no side effects to speak of.
    My only regret is it took me 10 years to go to the doctor about it!
    I'd recommend it to anyone without hesitation. Pelvic floor exercises did nothing so if anyone is thinking of going to their GP about this I'd lie and say you've been doing exercises for years and no difference.

17. I saw my GP years ago, about 21 actually, after my second child. I had physiotherapy, did all the exercises etc etc but I think I must have left my pelvic floor on the labout ward; it certainly didn't respond to all I was doing. My GP said it's a bit like perished knicker elastic, once it's gone it's gone. [​IMG]
    Maybe I need to go back!

18. BelleDuJour

Yes. Go back. Honestly, the op was the best thing ever (especially as I'm a horserider, but not at the mo as a nasty fall yesterday has left me with a fractured spine [​IMG]).
    You will not regret it. You have to have a few bladder dynamic tests at hospital (which are interesting) but the surgery itself is a breeze and life changing.

19. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

That sounds serious,Belle! Hope you are alright [​IMG]

20. BelleDuJour

It could have been a lot worse that's for sure!
    I'm in a lot of pain, and the painkillers make me sick. Off to fracture clinic tomorrow to reassess.
    I am not happy [​IMG]
    But at least my bladder is OK!