1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Blackboard

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by bruichbrose, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Hi everyone
    I am interested to know what colleagues experiences are of using the online learning website Blackboard.
    <ol>[*]Have you heard of Blackboard?[*]Have you used it?[*]Has it helped you?[*]What prevents you from using it?[*]What are the benefits of using Blackboard?[*]Are you aware of the courses available on Blackboard?[*]What courses have you accessed using Blackboard?[*]Does your school promote the use of Blackboard?</ol>Stuart

2. henriette

henriette New commenter

Never heard of it

3. In my experience it's more of a University thing - all Unis I've had anything to do with have used it extensively but I've never heard of a school using it. It is fantastic if used properly, it can do a lot of useful stuff to support independent learners at Uni. However it's not really something that I think is essential or useful at school - secondary school students are unlikely to be proactive enough to make use of it, and anyway schools usually have their own VLE which is probably cheaper.

4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Never heard of it. However I am the only member of staff in my school still using a blackboaurd!

5. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

I miss the old blackboard, the chalk dust on one's hands, clothes, hair....

6. Never heard of it!

7. punkrockprincess182

punkrockprincess182 New commenter

Hello :)
    When I was at LJMU we used Blackboard as a way of receiving work, documents, powerpoint presentations, lecture notes and assignments from our tutors. After each lecture one of our tutors would upload the powerpoint from the lecture along with some notes from the seminar. However, I found that this demotivated me in terms of attendance as I knew the resources would be there online waiting for me when I woke up; hungover.
    However, Blackboard was mega useful if you were ill, on holiday or if the lecture couldn't make it into uni, everything was catered for. On Blackboard we could also update our 'virtual purse' to increase our printing credit and even reserve books in the library from home!
    I'd recommed 'googling' LJMU Blackboard to see if there are a list of features that that particular University uses when explaining what Blackboard is.