1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Blackbirds reminding me that it's past bedtime...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by inky, Feb 16, 2011.

1. inky

inky Lead commenter

How lovely he sounds, the little bugg er.
    I remember having a nightingale nesting outside my room at college.

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

And hearing one at Dunster beach,,,

3. The reminded me that it really was time to get up!

4. You'd really appreciate rural Australia then, Inky....... ***** Wagtail (aka Australian nightingale) can sing at all hours of day and night, and frequently wakes me up during the night, as he seems to like one of the trees outside my bedroom window....the lapwings also make alarmed screeching 'eek, eek, eek' noises during the night...... throw in the pied butcherbird with its beautiful pre-dawn song, and the magpies with their gorgeous warbling dawn song.......Fortunately they don't all usually turn up on the same night...but when they do .....I don't get a lot of sleep! (and if it's raining you get the frogs going off in the gutters and downpipes.........which reverbate loudly, and the odd grunting kangaroo!) [​IMG]

5. I reckon the birds around here have got it sortly nicely for us human residents. The magpies start burbling and murmuring around dawn - really soft and pleasant to wake up gently to. Then if you weren't properly awake before, the kookaburras let you know it's time to get yourself into gear.

6. We don't get a lot of kookaburras here..just the odd one, .but I have some resident king parrots who will turn up with that one clear piercing call. They've become fairly tame and are feeding out of my hand now! There's a few lorikeets, but I'm trying not to encourage them so much, as apparently you start off with a few...and end up with 30 screeching at dawn, waiting to be fed! Got one (and only one) pair of galahs too...they're a bit more skittish.....