1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Blackbird singing in the dead of night

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Mangleworzle, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Ok - not the dead of night, but late on a summers evening, still full daylight, the wind has died down and the heat of the day is subsiding. We had dinner outside serenaded by a blackbird atop a nearby tree with swallows darting about high overhead in search of insects. The blackbird is still singing his joyous/melancholy song as I sit here next to the open door to the back garden.
    I love England in the summer.

2. You were only waiting for this moment to arrive.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I have one that does sing in the dead of night...4am...at the top of its damned voice outside my bedroom window!

4. Sure he wasn't saying "cat, cat cat" in his meliflous well rounded voice? I had to rescue one this morning at 5am who had made the mistake of being dopey first thing.

5. Marshall

Marshall Occasional commenter

3.30am and he's not the only one!!

6. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

my local one sings in the evening..during the day if rain is coming.and on the odd occasions i have fell asleep in the chair often at 5 am in the morning!

7. We have quite a few who start at about 5 am and then again at about 7 pm. albeit not quite as vociferous as they were a month or so ago. Each one has it's individual song and I'm sure they tend to mimic certain noises . One sounds like a telephone and one has a perfect reproduction of a part of the Simpson's theme tune.

8. Nothing to do with ornithology, but the title of the thread really sounds like it should be a song lyric.
    Sorry
    Mike

9. It is!

10. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

Beatles song, if I remember rightly.

11. i suspect i can blame it on our new ultra-bright, ultra-efficient street lighting - all spring i had a dawn chorus at 2am
    either it's gone now, or i've learned to sleep through it

12. Blackbird singing in the dead of night
    Take these broken wings and learn to fly
    All your life
    You were only waiting for this moment to arise
    Take these sunken eyes and learn to see
    All your life
    You were only waiting for this moment to be free
    Blackbird fly, blackbird fly
    Into the light of the dark black night
    Blackbird fly, blackbird fly
    Into the light of the dark black night
    Take these broken wings and learn to fly
    All your life

Damn No paragraphs

13. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Brace yourself for years of early morning ornithology. Blackbirds can live for up to ten years.