1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Black shirts on the streets of London

Discussion in 'Personal' started by alex_teccy, Aug 4, 2020.

1. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Star commenter

Since 1936 paramilitary outfits have been banned.

Prohibition of uniforms in connection with political objects.

(1) Subject as hereinafter provided, any person who in any public place or at any public meeting wears uniform signifying his association with any political organisation or with the promotion of any political object shall be guilty of an offence

Two days ago this group called Forever Family marched through the streets of Brixton, shouting “terrorists” at police.

2. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

The rise of a new form of terrorism? or trying to show they are better than anyone else?

3. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Just a bunch of onanists.

lexus300, peter12171 and mothorchid like this.
  4. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Where did you read that they shouted this at police?
    I read an article on the event, in the Times. It included this:

‘Mr McKenzie, from Ilford in east London, issued a video message before the march urging people to join in a peaceful protest. “It’s going to be a clean, happy, family friendly [event],” he said. “We are the reinforcements tomorrow for our elders”
    ‘The Metropolitan Police described the Brixton event as “a successful day without antisocial behaviour or violence, resulting in just three arrests”.
    One man was arrested for affray, one for assault on an emergency service worker and one woman for racially aggravated assault.’
    It doesn’t mention any abuse of the police and describes it throughout as being peaceful.
    Having said that, I would also question the wearing of the military style uniforms (including stab vests) and the lack of face masks.

5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I have just found out what that word means lol

6. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

There were similar family friendly events all over Germany in the late 1930s.

7. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Really? Do you think that in a few years time they will have become the new Nazi party (or similar) and persuaded us all to fight for world domination? I think you are jumping a few too many steps ahead there.
    I was responding to the comments about verbal abuse of police and the insinuation that this was a violent, threatening gathering.

8. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Forgive the hyperbole -hopefully lessons have been learned about people who enjoy dressing in paramilitary uniforms and march in the streets. I'm sure that the gathering was, as you mention, largely peaceful. I wonder though that people with peaceful intentions of a ' family friendly' nature need to wear what they are wearing ?

9. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Yes, I agree, their mode of dress is, in itself intimidating and their military behaviour could come across as being aggressive.
    I think that the whole event was supposed to be 'family friendly', to celebrate African Emancipation Day (from slavery) and that this group were just one part of the days event (ie they weren't in charge of the whole event).
    I think that I read in yesterdays paper that they see themselves as similar to, but not as extreme as the Guardian Angels, reclaiming the streets from knife gangs for the local people. They probably saw the event as a way to publicise their existence/presence. Perhaps their military appearance was supposed to send a message to local gangs rather than the general public (perhaps not?).

ACOYEAR8 likes this.
  10. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

11. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

At the risk of incurring wrath, any study of history should at least alert us to the possible dangers of people dressing in uniforms and gathering for ' peaceful purposes '.

agathamorse, alex_teccy and Laphroig like this.
  12. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

13. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

Except this is the sort of thing that Spiked would usually be making the most of.

14. hairyfairy

hairyfairy New commenter

'Since 1936 paramilitary outfits have been banned.'

I wonder would this not include Boy Scouts and Boys Brigade?

15. hairyfairy

hairyfairy New commenter

And marching bands?

16. BillyBobJoe

I know, weird isn't it? Who is less trustworthy, the Telegraph and Mail who are all over this, or Spiked? Tough call.

17. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Maybe I am being a bit thick but why would you wear a stab vest to a peaceful family event?

18. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Although there wasn't a pandemic at the time, with families banned from having weddings. Why is it acceptable to have protests at a time when people are still supposed to wfh, asked to try to distance in shops/pubs, and a father can't walk his daghter down the aisle, or sing, or attend the theatre?

Oscillatingass and alex_teccy like this.
  19. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

No. And not only because they're children. And Scouts is now for girls as well (though boys can't join the Guides).

Many people find masked faces intimidating, thinking it suggests a threat/a person who will not want to communicate with you. That's not to say people shouldn't wear masks (and I do so when shopping), but it remains a fact.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  20. BillyBobJoe

Some people find black people threatening whether they're wearing masks or not, which I think is a bigger part of the issue here.