1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

black pudding

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by inky, Jan 2, 2012.

1. inky

inky Lead commenter

I've just found out why it's not what it used to be: most of it's made with powdered blood. Apparently, current Health and Safety regulations forbid the use of fresh, liquid blood. I don't understand this, since in France you can still get the real thing.
    The blood is imported, by the way. Depressing.

We've just tried some supposedly good quality stuff but it was horrible - over-seasoned with thyme and rubbery in texture.

2. I'm not sure it is forbidden. The Irish food safety authority say it is just a matter of sourcing fresh blood carefully.
    Can't find an English/Scottish/Welsh version.

3. Ah ha!
    Q Is it illegal to use fresh pigs or beef blood to make black puddings?

No.
    It is not illegal to use fresh blood when making black pudding. Dried
    blood is more commonly used by manufacturers of large quantities of
    black pudding since fresh blood is a perishable product which is more
    difficult to store and handle than dried blood. Using dried blood is
    more convenient for larger operators and can ensure consistency.

If
    fresh blood is used it needs to be sourced from an approved premises
    where it has been harvested and stored hygienically. The risks need to
    be assessed and procedures implemented to control these risks. You will
    have to demonstrate to your inspector that what you are doing is safe
    and hygienic.
    http://www.fsai.ie/faq/food_safety_catering.html

4. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I'd suggest it's partly down to the decline in small, local abbatoirs. The distances and associated times between producers/abbatoirs/butchers these days means that it takes too long and is too difficult to get large quantities fresh blood to the butcher, hence not often possible to produce black pudding using fresh blood. You should still be able to find it with small operations, but it will take some searching out.
    On a related note - had some Spanish morcilla over the holidays, from Asturias. Blimmin lovely!

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

Thank you Pobble and nick.
    New Year Resolution: find and buy proper black pudding in England.

I like Morcilla but I still prefer the trad English midlands/ Normandy style simple stuff with just little gobs of fat.

6. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

My local butcher uses fresh blood and his black pud is legendary!

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

Do us a favour and ask him where you can buy fresh blood black pudding in London or Brum!

Many thanks,

inkyxx

8. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

We're out in the sticks on Scotland and he's worked in the family shop all his adult life, as did his grandad before him- I doubt very much he'd have a clue about anywhere like Brum or London! But will ask...

9. inky

inky Lead commenter

I'm sure you're right! He might know about the rules re fresh blood, though.

10. Mr J assures me the black pudding from our local butcher is delicious, I am yet to be convinced to try it.
    I can find out if they make it with fresh blood... if you're happy to travel to Worcestershire, we're only 12 miles south of Bham (don't want to be too specific on here).