1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Black Lives Matter

Discussion in 'Education news' started by rexinstead, Jun 11, 2020.

Tags:
  1. MsOnline

MsOnline Occasional commenter

To OP,

did you get the direct message I sent to you?

I've interpreted the purpose of this thread as someone asking for support from assumed fellow professionals. She's asking for support not for people to debate her motives or validity of her work - she's doing it regardless of others' views because she cares.

If you don't agree with BLM, that's your choice.
    But there are hundreds of other threads on here... if not thousands. Why try to derail this one?

To TheoGriff - that's an interesting one.

rexinstead likes this.
  2. rexinstead

rexinstead New commenter

Are you referring to me? I have not created a single resources to sell on the subject for the very reason I've made this post: I don't believe I have the experience to write these lessons alone.

3. rexinstead

rexinstead New commenter

Yes, but there has to be a line somewhere and we teach lots of areas that are tricky. It just needs to be taught thoughtfully and carefully, but most importantly, it does need to be taught.

ACOYEAR8 likes this.
  4. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Agreed and teachers who can do that well are valuable to any school.

rexinstead likes this.
  5. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Absolutely not referring to you.

rexinstead likes this.
  6. Ellakits

Ellakits Lead commenter

Just as well really, because that would mean you supported the manner of Mr Floyd’s death.

The word you are missing is ‘against’.

The only thing you can protest in the affirmative is your innocence.

alex_teccy likes this.
  7. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Lead commenter

Nobody’s “derailing” anything.
    The thread title is BLM, an organisation which recognises “white supremacy”.
    If a teacher were to use that doctrine to inform what they did in a classroom, it would violate the rights of the child.

8. alex_teccy

Yes, but I’m not the one saying that “it’s okay to teach elements of toxic masculinity” in a primary school setting.
    Do you realise how horrific that sounds?

9. rexinstead

rexinstead New commenter

I'm not saying or suggesting that. Why respond on a thread asking for help teaching children about equality if you can't actually help?

10. rexinstead

rexinstead New commenter

The phrase Black lives matter is purely trying to explain to people they need to treat people equally and with respect. The lessons will hopefully do that. That is the beginning and end of my point

11. rexinstead

rexinstead New commenter

I'm not going to respond to any more comments here as many are not helping in any way. Thank you very much to those who have offered help, I really hope that teaching children to treat everyone with respect is something we can hope to see in the future.

12. alex_teccy

I have helped. I’ve made you think more carefully about the messages you give to the children you teach.

13. alex_teccy

No, it’s an organisation.

14. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Yes, although that does imply that that person is a racist who doesn't believe that Black lives do matter. In other words, not a very nice person.

15. thecraicis90

thecraicis90 New commenter

In today's highly charged political and social climate, some subscribers might interpret the contributions to this post as having the potential to develop into nothing more than, at best, a political and professional point-scoring exercise and, at worst, yet another example of the rampant public virtue-signalling which seems to have beset so much of UK society at the moment. Just my opinion.

16. a1976

a1976 Established commenter

I don't want any part of it (BLM). And it sickens me that so many people have jumped on the bandwagon of glorifying a hardened criminal.

alex_teccy likes this.
  17. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Anyone asked you to be part of it? No, thought not.

So you support the idea of the death penalty on anyone accused of a minor crime then?

18. a1976

a1976 Established commenter

:) I don't give a rats ass if anyone asked my opinion. I gave it, sweetie. Deal with it. This board belongs to everybody.

19. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

NoseyMatronType likes this.
  20. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter