1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Black Lives Matter

Discussion in 'Education news' started by rexinstead, Jun 11, 2020.

Tags:
  1. rexinstead

rexinstead New commenter

I can see your point, but does that mean we should allow parents to teach them inaccurate methods of calculation and stop trying to teach them correct ways? I also think it's a very negative view to have if you are a teacher. I was personally brought up with extremely different beliefs and ideas to the ones I have now, I have learnt what I actually think and believe and a significant part of this was from influence of teachers. It is even more crucially important to teach children differently if their parents are teaching them racism, as they need more than ever to hear and be given the opportunity to develop a different viewpoint.

MsOnline, peter12171 and ACOYEAR8 like this.
  2. rexinstead

rexinstead New commenter

Furthermore, these aspects of the world are true; women do have it harder in some ways and there are parts of masculinity that are toxic, not teaching this doesn't make it untrue, it just means children have to learn about it and deal with it without help or guidance.

3. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Gainsaying the beliefs and mindset of parents is a tricky area. " My mum says....." in a classroom is going to get all the focus, not because children care what the mum says, it's because they want to know your answer. Is it our duty to 'correct' the beliefs of children which have been taught them by their parents ?
    We have to report radicalism in the UK.

alex_teccy likes this.
  4. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Lead commenter

Are you sure? Men have it harder, in some ways. They’re more likely to be successful in suicide attempts, more likely to end up homeless, die younger, be victims of violent crime and be killed in wars.
    “Toxic masculinity” is untrue, it is a worse-case archetype for masculinity. If we use it to inform how we treat boys on any level we risk stigmatising them.

We don’t use “toxic femininity” anymore as a basis for how we approach girls. We shouldn’t for boys either.

The help and guidance we should give is to make children aware of the risks and dangers, respect individual rights, freedoms and behave responsibly?

5. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Lead commenter

The title of your thread is BLM. I’m saying take a look at their website, because it’s not just about racism, it’s anti-capitalist, anti-patriarchy. These are concepts which have all the values I mentioned built in.

6. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

This is something I tried to say (not as well) earlier on. Kids will play with anybody else; something happens at some stage that changes this. I’m sure that, when younger, many of us were told not to play with certain people for reasons that were fine for our parents; now we look back and shudder at the thoughts and reasoning behind it. These sort of attitudes are changing, and it takes time, as one generation learns from the errors of the previous one. Teachers can, and should, try to influence attitudes that are clearly wring, such as racism, sexism and homophobia, but it will be difficult if the children go home and hear precisely the opposite from their parents.

rexinstead and ACOYEAR8 like this.
  7. MsOnline

MsOnline Occasional commenter

To the OP and others interested,

Issues highlighted recently are not NEW to Black people. Black people have been communicating their experiences of racism in this country for decades. People are having discussions now - which is great, unity is great.

So, Black people have always created resources, they exist along with the expertise. It'd be better to access these resources first than rush to put something together as a reaction - however well-meaning.

1st steps are the will to want change and acknowledgement. Open hearts and minds make all the difference.

8. nixmith

nixmith Established commenter

Which month is 'white history month'?

9. mrajlong

mrajlong Senior commenter

Just found this statement quite prevalent on the BLM official website:

"We appreciate your support of the movement and our ongoing fight to end State-sanctioned violence, liberate Black people, and end white supremacy forever."

Not sure how I feel about the last bit! "White Supremacy" is a very emotive phrase that summons up images of Nazis and Swastika tattooed skinheads. The dictionary definition is...

"White supremacism is the racist belief that white people are superior to people of other races and therefore should be dominant over them"

I am all for total equality for all, but would have to be very careful teaching this in class. I would definitiely talk about racism and what happened to GF, but also tread very carefully when mentioning the BLM movement.

Tricky one, this! :)

ACOYEAR8 and peter12171 like this.
  10. Romoletto

Romoletto New commenter

Every month of the year.

MsOnline and rexinstead like this.
  11. rexinstead

rexinstead New commenter

Thank you for this. I have actually been actively working within my school to include representation from other races in assemblies and lessons for a few years, I just felt like now was the time to take that further.

I have seen resources available but in this instance, as I was asked to produce resources for a specific reason, I thought it would make more sense to create original work. The reason I asked was because I knew people on this site had created resources, so my hope was that they would work with me to adapt or create the right resource for this particular need. I didn't want to take pre written work as I wasn't sure any authors would be willing for their work to be used in this way so rather than approach multiple authors and ask them individually, it made more sense to ask people in here. Unfortunately, it seems to have attracted the attention of people who want to criticise rather than support this goal though. Thank you for your advice, I hope my answer explains my intentions more clearly.

MsOnline likes this.
  12. rexinstead

rexinstead New commenter

Agreed, it's an emotive subject, but one that it extremely relevant and important. It can't be brushed aside because it's 'tricky'. It might be that training is necessary to support teachers in communicating the message appropriately.

13. rexinstead

rexinstead New commenter

Yes, it will, but there are ways to sensitively say that those views are not the same as everyone else's. And you might not succeed in making children think twice, but if you don't even try, you definitely won't.

14. rexinstead

rexinstead New commenter

The title of my thread is Black Lives Matter because I believe this is the case. As I said at the start, I want to plan lessons to teach children to respect people of different races and treat them equally, not to encourage them to join the movement. I teach primary school and I believe that at this age, just teaching the concept of racism and getting them to think about what race means and why they should treat people equally is enough.

15. rexinstead

rexinstead New commenter

This same issue arises when teaching RE; some children are taught by their parents that their religion is the right one and other people are wrong for their beliefs. I have personally had children say this in lessons, and this has brought up issues in PSHE classes about same sex marriages etc, so it's not an alien concept in schools to have to find ways to sensitively say that there are different ways for people to think and to be respectful of each other's beliefs, dealing with it is just a matter of experience and choosing words carefully. I know we have to report radicalism, but I'm not sure how that's relevant here.

ACOYEAR8 likes this.
  16. rexinstead

rexinstead New commenter

This has gone so far beyond the original post that I don't think it's relevant to this conversation any more. It's not a competition, different races and genders have their different struggles, but at the moment I am trying to act on racism. If you believe men need that much support, maybe begin a thread to support them and concentrate your efforts there.

17. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

I mention it since from the radical pov, there's nothing wrong. It's all about perspective. We deem many practices to be wrong which are an integral part of other people's belief systems. It's a very tricky area.

18. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

19. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

every other month ?

rexinstead likes this.
  20. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Sadly people will try and take advantage of anything if it means a fast buck or a fleeting flirt with fame.