1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Black Lives Matter in recruitment. Really?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by frodo_magic, Aug 29, 2020.

1. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

As usual, the Sage of Walmington-On-Sea has summed up the problem very well. Even if teacher recruitment agencies do their very best to combat racism and discrimination, it will probably have very little impact on the school owners and - even more importantly - on the parents of many students.

When I was teaching at the B___ school in Kenya, the staff were very annoyed when we found out that a black Kenyan teacher, a lovely (and well qualified) lady who taught French, was being paid a lot less than the expats. At a rather acrimonious staff meeting, the head eventually agreed to put things right.

2. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

I appointed three new local teachers to our school in Africa plus a school nurse who had just retired at 50 from the local NHS. Two of the teachers were excellent and got highly positive feedback from the parents. The third, whose mum and dad had hopefully christened him, Last One, was a heidelberger so it was Last One in First One Out. The nurse was absolutely superb and my sons would always find a way of being treated by her rather than her white colleague. During her appointment interview she told me what she had been earning as a senior theatre sister. I replied 'multiply by five and add a four bedroom bungalow'. All our staff were paid on the same scale though the expats recruited in the UK had a generous flight allowance. A few of the European staff had been domiciled in Africa for donkeys' years and one had actually been born locally. They all thought they should have the flight allowance too. When I asked why they should have it when the African staff didn't, nobody had the bottle to suggest that it had anything to do with colour.

alex_teccy and percy topliss like this.
  3. cherpat87

cherpat87 New commenter

Thankyou

4. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Star commenter

Quite right.
    It’s depressing to see SA and Int. Schools Review and even some schools drinking the woke Kool-Aid. BLM is both in the U.K. and US avowedly Marxist anti-capitalist organisations, committed to perpetuating racial discord and division. It’s short-sighted in the extreme for organisations, that are based on providing a service to fee paying customers, to open the door to their particular interpretations.

If any international school leaders are reading this thread, go and find out what happened to Evergreen College in the states to see the consequences of tolerating violent woke ideologues. Be warned. Be very warned.

BLM offer a soft target for terminally ignorant virtue signallers. They haven’t once offered support for Hong Kong freedom-fighters.

kstainsb likes this.
  5. Mainwaring

Though I see 'woke' in a vast range of contexts I genuinely haven't the slightest inkling of its meaning. But any adjective that can apply both to 'Kool-Aid' and 'idealogue' clearly commands respect. Would anyone care to enlighten me?

Helen-Back likes this.
  6. february31st

february31st Established commenter

To "Drink the Cool Aid", comes from a reference to the Jonestown mass suicide/mass killing. The end of the world was coming and it is better to drink the poisoned cool-aid then face what was coming, the end of days.

Hence the phrase, I would drink the cool-aid rather than face xxxx, or its enough to make you drink the cool-aid.

7. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

I always had a different take on drinking the Kool Aid. For me if you had "drank the Kool Aid", it meant that you had bought into whatever company line, BS, fairy tale, etc. was being peddled.

In our current political landscape I often opine that Trump supporters must have drank the Kool Aid, passed it (give or take a vowel), and then "recycled it" by eagerly gulping it down a second time.

yasf, grdwdgrrrl and Helen-Back like this.
  8. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

And I think young alex-teccy has had his/her share of the right wing conspiracy theory kool aid. :D

ToK-tastic and yasf like this.
  9. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Star commenter

I'm as crumbly as the rest of you. I'll have you know.:p
    Teaching kids critical race theory, decolonising the curriculum, unconscious bias is not a conspiracy. It's happening in schools right now.
    Teaching children that if they do not obey another individuals pronouns-even by accident- that the are prejudiced, that biological sex is not real , that an advised ‘important topic for discussion’ is the fact that ‘anal sex is not exclusively practised by men who have sex with men, many heterosexual couples enjoy anal sex’, is not a conspiracy, it's happening in schools right now.

10. february31st

Please pass me the Gatorade!

11. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I think that a good glass of Bulgarian Chardonnay is required.

yasf likes this.
  12. february31st

Make it a 2015 Hrumki Orbelus Merlot and I will join you!

13. Mainwaring

I still have no clue what 'woke' means. Never mind the ade, Ali. Just pass me the gator.

14. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

I think it's when Jesus turns up to his own wake, or something along those lines.

15. makhnovite

Politically correct - would be my understanding Cap, and if course there are degrees of 'wokeness', as there are of political correctness - some are more woke than others. :rolleyes:

16. Mainwaring

Thanks, Mak. I'm currently reading Lady Whatsername's highly critical book about Harry and Meghan. Apparently Meghan is more woke than most.

17. Romoletto

Romoletto Occasional commenter

Ignoring grammar rules, to be woke is the opposite of to be sleep, and is euphemistically used to indicate being in the know vs being ignorant

Generally speaking it is a term that you once would most often hear amongst African Americans to indicate being “enlightened” or aware of the perceived realities of things. If you consumed enough African American media you would have come across the term and not thought much of it. It was related to ideas of black liberation and not swallowing mainstream received wisdom which often painted black people as backward or uncivilised and white Europeans as naturally their betters. It was linked to pan African or Afrocentrist movements within the African American communities.

more recently, with the rise of racial issues gaining more mainstream attention the term has reached the ears of more folks than it did before but has come to be (mis)used by anti-BLM folk and those who believe there’s “no such thing as systemic racism today”. These people now use the term in a pejorative sense to sneer or looked down upon those who hold sympathetic views to BLM or indeed any racially related thoughts or movements designed at improving the lot of ethnic minorities in the west. tbh however the pejorative use of wile is not limited to that and is also used to sneer at most left wing sentiments or ideas.

Based on its usage by such types you could say it has taken on the meaning of “naive”, “foolish” or “gullible”

I’ll add that to be fair to the right wingers, such a use of woke is t knew in African American circles either, as plenty of comedians have used it mockingly for decades too. However, theirs was more gentle, as ultimately they still e believed in the place where “the woke” were coming from and so it came from a positive place. whereas there is often a good deal of venom behind the mocking use employed by the right wingers these days

englishtt06 likes this.
  18. Mainwaring

Many thanks, Romoletto, I can now better understand the use of 'woke' in Lady Colin Campbell's book.

19. makhnovite

'Apparently Meghan is more woke than most' - well of course, she is from California after all; her mother is/was a social worker and yoga instructor and she was educated privately - nuff said! Thanks as ever to Wikipedia!!