1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Black Friday

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lapinrose, Nov 25, 2011.

1. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I have been really puzzling myself about this, I've had some emails etc proclaiming that this Friday, today, is Black Friday. I was thinking what happened today in history, what monumental massacre or something took place? I found out that it's the day after Thanksgiving day, because of the shopping that goes on.
    Fair enough but that's in America, we don't celebrate Thansgiving here, so why are companies insistifng that I need to shop today? OK, I may need to buy a pint of milk or something, but I'm not being persuaded to empty my bank account on electronic goods!

2. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

I always thought that Black Friday referred to the last Friday before Christmas, which is typically when people finish work for their Christmas break and go out for Christmas parties etc (obviously Black Friday tends to be a different day in lieu when Christmas falls late in the week as opposed to a Monday or Tuesday).

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

See another poster mystified by the term, this is the first year I've heard of it!! Here's a list:

Black Friday is a term used to refer to certain events which occur on a Friday. It has been used in the following cases:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Black_Fridays

4. Probably refers to the Amazon.co.uk Black Friday Sale.

<P>
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Friday-Deals/b?ie=UTF8&node=161428031

5. Amazon's Black Friday relates to a blitz sale they started when global recession started and banks closed ranks. As no one was spending and everyone panicking over money they ran a blitz salewhere for a very ltd time certain things were up to 80% off. This year they have had a whole working wk of lightening sales.

6. Is today Black Friday?

I'd better find an Archbishop to sanctify me.

7. They have had some real bargains, but I missed the Lego - 114 on the waiting list [​IMG] and that was 10 minutes after it went on sale!

8. Mrs. B has ordered her pepper spray in readiness for the January sales.

9. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Black Friday was the date when retailers needed to get their finances 'in the black'. Handy time to get Christmas presents for those who celebrate it.
    I got some things in the Amazon BF sale - Photoshop Elements 10 for less than &pound;30; a Braun epilator for &pound;55; a Samsung dual-sim phone for &pound;44; a couple of Kipling purses at &pound;7 and &pound;10; some Totes leather gloves for &pound;12 and a daylight energy saving bulb for &pound;4.50.
    Missed the GHDs at &pound;50 and the mystery DS game for &pound;1.95 - never mind.

10. You mean Christmas Eve? That's when most people finish

11. Black Friday - as proclaimed by the likes of Amazon and other online retailers with a US base - is the Friday following Thanksgiving. Tradionally, it was the slowest day in the retail sector and so gained the name 'black' for being so doom laden for shopkeepers. A number of years ago, it was decided to turn this into a shopping opportunity, rather than just accept the low sales of the day, and so the Black Friday sales began in earnest - Amazon being one of the major companies to do so. Nothing historical happened on the day after Thanksgiving that is commemorated with the title Black Friday. It's entirely a commercial invention to spur sales and spending.