1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

bl00dy electric scooters

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nizebaby, Sep 12, 2019.

1. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

Watched someone on an electric skateboard zoom along East Street in Cambridge on Wednesday. Didn't quite keep up with the traffic but pretty close. Looked incredibly precarious though, would only take one small pothole.

There seem to be a few adverts on YouTube though for these things.

2. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Yes it should. There were electric scooters and segways everywhere in Valencia, where they share the cycle ways. Unfortunately though, the UK has pathetic cycle paths in towns and cities; often dangerous too.

chelsea2 likes this.
  3. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Mobility scooters would be ok if they couldn't go at more than walking pace, day 3mph.

FrankWolley likes this.
  4. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

5. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Why are electric scooters illegal but electric bikes are not? They seem to fall into different categories, the former are "personal light electrical vehicles" and illegal on roads and pavements and the latter "electrically assisted pedal cycles and don't need to be licensed or registered.
    Just seems a bit odd!

6. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

You can place the blame for this reckless, dangerous, illegal behaviour at the door of 10 Downing Street. They are simply following the behaviour of our Prime Minister Alexander AKA Boris Johnson and events around Brexit and the peroguing of Parliament. If our Prime Minister doesn't give a rat's aarse about breaking the law then why should they?

7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Bloke at my wife's workplace had one of these infernal things, used to weave in and out of the traffic in a very dodgy manner.

Heard yesterday he had an accident and the scooter was "written off"

That's one less of them on the road.

8. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Pedal assisted cycles may not exceed 25 kph. Not much different from pedaling a regular cycle enthusiastically. Anything that gets more people cycling and out of cars is a good idea.
    (The max speed is EU regulation )

chelsea2 likes this.
  9. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

My electric bike has a power assisted maximum of 12 mph. Of course, downhill with a fair wind it goes much faster, but that's nothing to do with the electricity, which I will have switched off at that point.

Using an electric bike means I get across road junctions from a standing start more quickly, which helps impatient car drivers!

10. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Will do.

HelenREMfan likes this.
  11. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Paris is thinking of banning them, by the way. Some users are unbelievably cavalier in the way they swoop and swerve amonst pedestrians. And there is something ridiculous about the sight of a grown man on a child's toy.

FrankWolley likes this.
  12. LondonCanary

Thay are a great way to get around and fun too.
    I have also seen women using them.

chelsea2 likes this.
  13. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Where do you ride yours, LC?

14. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I am on a cruise right now (in the Western med) and without the use of an electric mobility scooter I would be lost. I have succumbed to using one after other trips using crutches and a walker and tbh I mostly used up all my energy and pain tolerance when just on the ship. It has been invaluable when getting off the ship in Gibraltar and Corsica. The day I didn’t take it when we took the bus trip to Cassis (near Marseilles) saw me unable to do the next day’s planned trip to Pisa I was in so much pain. I did get to swim in the sea in Cassis tho which was my aim. I plan to use it to access Barcelona tomorrow. Our suite is right at the stern of the ship and my OH - normally a fit an active walker is showing signs of fatigue!
    Driving one is no picnic..... there aren’t any brakes and people are inclined to stop dead without warning, people ‘slalom’ past you to beat you into lifts (they do that when I am on crutches too.....so ignorant and thoughtless) You learn that ‘dropped kerbs’ can have uneven heights of 2” + and can often lean.... despite my machine having 4 stout wheels at times I can feel quite unstable !! I am a car (minibus, horsebox etc) driver so am very aware about looking around me, anticipating other people’s intentions and being ready for near enough everything. I am extremely grateful for the useo of this hire one and am recognising that the time might be close when I need to buy one.....

15. LondonCanary

I've ridden Lime scooters in Paris.

16. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Your story sounds exactly like that of one of my best friends. A multitude of chronic medical issues has left her in constant pain. She is able to walk, but only at the cost of unbearable pain, especially the next day, in her feet, legs & back. She fought against using a mobility scooter for several years, but first conceded when on holiday - otherwise she wasn't just spoiling her own holiday but also that of the people she was with (husband, children, grandchildren). And now she has one at home. She still hates using it, but has recognised it makes her life much easier and a little less painful, and enables her to join in and be more sociable with friends & family.

17. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Yes...... I feel like ringing a bell and calling “Unclean, unclean!!”