1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

bl00dy electric scooters

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nizebaby, Sep 12, 2019 at 11:29 AM.

1. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

The law is clear but the manufacturers and retailers pooh-pooh it.

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Or putt putt it?

caress likes this.
  3. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

What is the law you are mentioning and why is it being 'pooh-poohed?

4. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

https://www.micro-scooters.co.uk/community/2019/07/electric-scooters-law-uk/

The adult electric scooter is powered partly by a battery motor and is therefore classified as Personal Light Electric Vehicle (PLEV) by the Department for Transport (DfT), making it illegal to use on UK roads and pavements. However, it is legal to use them on private land and property.21 Jul 2019

5. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

As to why it is being ignored, the police have things they consider more important to safeguard us from, as well as being under resourced and under peopled.

And don't believe anything Bojo says because that is just electioneering. He will do nothing at all for the thin blue line.

6. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Unless, like Thatcher he wants to suppress a particular sector of our society. Then watch out!

7. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Perhaps the law should be reconsidered?
    Other countries allow them on public land.
    Segways, too.

8. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

I meant that theanufacturers and retailers are very dismissive of the law.

9. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

As far as I am concerned if the police stop someone using one or a bicycle at night without lights they should have the power to confiscate the vehicle and have it crushed, the same as a car with no tax/mot/insurance.

10. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

I think that cycles, and these powered scooters etc should have 3rd party insurance at least. Though I have to admit to being a hypocrite in this. I have enquired about insurance to find that the ones available only seem to be for theft and for racing cyclists, so I didn't pursue it. Anybody know about 3rd party cover for everyday cycling?

CheeseMongler likes this.
  11. Mountaingirl

Mountaingirl New commenter

Try Cycling UK - we are insured through them for 3rd party. I pay an annual premium but it's through a club. You can do it as non-affiliated person though.

12. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

One of those scooters nearly knocked me off my bike this morning. I was turning into a side road, she was on the pavement parallel to me, and simply carried on onto the side road without even looking. Had I been further round the corner she would have just crashed straight into me. Had I been a car she could have been seriously injured.

13. catmother

catmother Star commenter

And the car driver would no doubt be held accountable,without mentioning left very traumatised.

nizebaby and Dragonlady30 like this.
  14. Doitforfree

Absolutely!

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  15. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

Cyclists and pedestrians never do that then? Must be because of the scooter.

chelsea2 likes this.
  16. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Surely every moment on the roads we share is a string of "would have/could have/should have moments"? We are all vulnerable to making errors of judgement, and I guess we also make errors that others see but which we do not even know about ourselves. Nobody was hurt. That's what matters.
    Having said that, I do find some scooter users a bit pompous, but that might just be an aesthetic thing, a comedic looking way to travel. Perhaps looking pompous is a cover up for knowing you look like a *****.

Edit-
    Wow-my completely made up monosyllabic word was edited out.

17. Doitforfree

I don't understand your point. Are you saying that because some other people behave badly then I have no right to feel aggrieved when someone nearly sends me flying?

My mother in law had a theory which may have some substance, that some of the people who get scooters have never driven a car and don't have any idea about the rules of the road or how to 'drive' safely, watch where they're going, look out for hazards and so on. People on scooters go faster than they would if they were walking and feel protected by their vehicle, so don't always drive in a safe manner.

nizebaby likes this.
  18. Doitforfree

I know some cyclists ride badly. I'm not one of them I hope(I got 100% for my cycling proficiency, and got a kiss from a footballer at the awards, much to my friend's disgust as she had to give a kiss to the lady mayoress!), but I've had far more near misses with scooter riders than cyclists. There used to be a man at our local supermarket who put his umbrella in his scooter basket so that it stuck out either side, then went round the aisles completely oblivious to all the people he was hitting with it.

19. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Just wondering what people feel about mobility scooters on the pavement. After all, they take up more space than cycles or scooters, and are (arguably) used by people with mobility issues (and often elderly) whose reactions may consequently be slower than other people's, making them more of a risk of causing an accident? Crash into one of those, and you won't get up unscathed.

Slightly tongue in cheek, maybe, although I have seen some mobility scooters driven at speed along crowded pavements, with little regard for their fellow travellers. Which is really the point I am making:

Whoever people are, and whatever their mode of transport, if you don't have regard for your fellow pavement users there will be people hurt. Cycling / scooting along pavements is perfectly safe if the pavement is wide enough and not too busy. If it isn't, get off and walk. Just the same as when people are fitness running through a crowd - slow down to a walk. And if you've got your head stuck in your phone while walking along you are as much a danger to others as these other modes of transport.

It all boils down to not being selfish, but look out for other people (literally, in this case) - as do so many things in life.

schoolsout4summer and sbkrobson like this.
  20. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Electric scooters are used all over France. It's one solution to city congestion and global warming.
    (That's despite all those EU laws we hate)

anotherauntsally and chelsea2 like this.