1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bl**dy Fire Alarms

Discussion in 'Personal' started by impulce, May 7, 2012.

1. OK So I know they are designed to save our lives, but I have just had a fire alarm related hysterical breakdown.
    Our fire alarm started cheeping a few weeks ago, so we duly replaced the battery.
    It continued to cheep, randomly every few hours...so we replaced the battery again presuming it was a dud battery.
    It continued to cheep. And cheep. And CHEEP.
    So. Today I bit the bullet and bought a brand new fire alarm, affixed to the ceiling, new battery that came with it...job done, no more cheeping.
    And then... IT CONTINUED TO CHEEP!
    I read the manual from cover to cover. I emailed the manufacturer.
    And then, casually thrown into conversation, my OH mentions the fact that we "Do have a second fire alarm on the upstairs landing you know."
    NO. I DIDN'T BL**DY KNOW.

New battery installed, chirping fixed.

2. OK So I know they are designed to save our lives, but I have just had a fire alarm related hysterical breakdown.
    Our fire alarm started cheeping a few weeks ago, so we duly replaced the battery.
    It continued to cheep, randomly every few hours...so we replaced the battery again presuming it was a dud battery.
    It continued to cheep. And cheep. And CHEEP.
    So. Today I bit the bullet and bought a brand new fire alarm, affixed to the ceiling, new battery that came with it...job done, no more cheeping.
    And then... IT CONTINUED TO CHEEP!
    I read the manual from cover to cover. I emailed the manufacturer.
    And then, casually thrown into conversation, my OH mentions the fact that we "Do have a second fire alarm on the upstairs landing you know."
    NO. I DIDN'T BL**DY KNOW.

New battery installed, chirping fixed.

3. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

We had one that started going off every ten minutes starting at about 5 a.m. one morning. It turned out it needed cleaning so OH hoovered it, end of problem.

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

My parents once had their mains-interlinked smoke detector replaced at a cost of over £200 when it wouldn't stop chirping. The electrician agreed that it must be faulty.
    The chirping continued and was eventually traced to their Carbon Monoxide detector. There was no CM problem but the batteries are not replaceable and the unit chirps when it's time to get a new detector.

5. Pageant

Pageant Occasional commenter

Similar problem here which happened just as o/h was leaving for a week in wherever. This beeping was of the likely to keep you awake type but not regular beeping so as far as o/h was concerned it didn't exist because he'd not heard it. Finally daughter heard it and he had to believe us.
    Turned out it wasn't the fire alarm (which by then had been removed from the ceiling and put in the garage. It was the carbon monoxide detector that hubby had put (unknown to me) in the cupboard with the boiler. It was beeping because it needed new batteries...........