1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bizarre question: Japanese plug adaptor?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Larsy, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Larsy

Larsy New commenter

I have, at great expense, bought my brother a fab present, its an electrical item that has come all the way from Japan, and obviously it has a Japanese plug. Does anyone know how I could convert it to a UK plug either by changing the plug or by way of adaptor?
    I know a lot of you are thinking "daft cow, why didn't she get him a UK electrical item" but this was a special limited edition Camper Van toaster (he loves camper vans) made by Volkswagen, very limited edition & best of all it toasts the VW logo on to your bread.....
    ...but its no use if I can't convert it! Help!

2. Larsy

Larsy New commenter

I have, at great expense, bought my brother a fab present, its an electrical item that has come all the way from Japan, and obviously it has a Japanese plug. Does anyone know how I could convert it to a UK plug either by changing the plug or by way of adaptor?
    I know a lot of you are thinking "daft cow, why didn't she get him a UK electrical item" but this was a special limited edition Camper Van toaster (he loves camper vans) made by Volkswagen, very limited edition & best of all it toasts the VW logo on to your bread.....
    ...but its no use if I can't convert it! Help!

3. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

Japanese voltage is 100, Britain is more than double that. The toaster will not work unless it's specifically made for the European market. Check what voltage it says on it : usually written underneath. If it's 100 DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE IT as you'd also probably invalidate any insurance.

4. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

Don't know how much the toaster was, but £20 to get it to work seems steep to me. Hope he's going to appreciate it !
    How about some edible gold leaf then he can have gold plated toast, too ? [​IMG]

5. If it's a VW van toaster it will breakdown after four slices and cost a fortune to repair. :¬))

ps Sorry Surfy.

6. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

7. Larsy

Larsy New commenter

You guys rock my world - I thought my present was going to be an enormously expensive dust-gatherer. Fabulous. I love you guys!!! THANKS!

8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

If it's a VW camper van toaster it will start OK but it will never warm up.

Nevertheless, I want one ;-)

9. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

lol @ bauble beating me too it. not fair - took me ages to find the link. I knew they existed but couldn't remeber what they were called.
    MSB - nevertheless I want one - really did make me laugh. Brightened my day :)