1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bizarre Household Tips

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BertieBassett2, Nov 20, 2018.

1. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

At the risk of encroaching on an old thread, I'd like to share a rather unusual tip I was given, courtesy of the housekeeper at Chatsworth House. (I might add it was via her book 'Tips, Tales and Tipples.) To clean an iron that has burnt on fibres, rub a paracetamol tablet over the scorched part and it will come up like new! ( I hasten to add that it doesn't work with a plastic coated capsule...) It really does work! Anyone else any unlikely tips?

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Get someone else to do the washing up

bevdex, colpee, Jamvic and 5 others like this.
  3. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Or a dish washer machine thingy.

4. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

You'd put an iron in the dishwasher?

Is your name Rees-Mogg??

kibosh likes this.
  5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Always scrape the poisonous carbon compounds off burned toast before putting butter on it.

6. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Good tip, and one that a lot of people don't know unfortunately. However, burnt toast is not poisonous in the strict meaning of the term, but carcinogenic. The sugars in the bread break down into benzine ring structures and we all know what they do.

kibosh likes this.
  7. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

My Granny's copy of Mrs Beeton tells me to clean my feather boa with fuller's earth and gasoline... It adds that for the next few days I should avoid standing too close to the open fire.
    And to put two spoonfuls of neat ammonia in my bath to give me a bit of a lift.
    Hmmm...

kibosh, bevdex, colpee and 6 others like this.
  8. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

Although there is little evidence that injested acrylamide,from food cooked at higher temperatures, does increase the risk of cancer.

nomad likes this.
  9. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

You would put your iron in the dish washer?

10. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Sorry.

11. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

That's the flavour gone.

12. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

Yes, benzene and other related aromatics are formed when bread is toasted. Yes, these chemicals have been shown to be carcinogenic but this only means it has the potential to cause cancer. It depends on so many things like how it enters the body (orally, dermally, intravenously etc), the concentration, your body itself... Even then it's just a probability, just like the 80 year old that has been chugging away on 60 cigarettes a day and doesn't have cancer.
    If you really are that concerned about the risk, I'd suggest you don't scrape the toast either as then you're just going to be inhaling these carcinogens. Actually, the one thing that is most likely (in terms of the available evidence) to impact on your health is the butter and the saturated fats...

kibosh, blazer and TCSC47 like this.
  13. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

My tip of the moment concerns old car headlamp lenses that have dimmed. Simply polish them up with tooth paste. It works. You can find utubes on this. Sealing the polished surface with acrylic lacquer or something is recommended, but I just repeat the polish every six months or so.

Speaking of which, -----

kibosh, BertieBassett2 and needabreak like this.
  14. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Vinegar ... pretty much does all your household cleaning but can pong a bit.

15. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I believe Mrs Beeton also suggests dry cleaning one's clothes with gin. Such a waste!

kibosh, bevdex, nomad and 1 other person like this.
  16. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Or just buy a new car every 3 years! Works for me.

kibosh and nomad like this.
  17. blazer

blazer Star commenter

be careful. Modern headlight glass (very few modern cars have lenses any more, all the light directing is done by reflection rather than refraction) may not be glass, so be carefully using any solvent other than water or ethanol on them.

18. border_walker

Plus bicarbonate of soda

kibosh, needabreak and BertieBassett2 like this.
  19. border_walker

I thought that acrylamides are produced from burning toast and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons"benzene like" rings from burnt meat.

kibosh likes this.
  20. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

More bloody global warming.

kibosh likes this.