1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Biting

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by janp7, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Hey hi everyone.
    I am new to this, but am looking for some advice. We have a 2 year old who is repeatingly either trying to or actually biting some of the other children. We are trying to distract him and obviously intervening when necessary, but he doesn't react, when he is removed from the scene and sometimes he just laughs. I know he is young, but the no reaction is strange, and it doesn't seem to sink in that he is hurting his friends. Any ideas please

2. Hey hi everyone.
    I am new to this, but am looking for some advice. We have a 2 year old who is repeatingly either trying to or actually biting some of the other children. We are trying to distract him and obviously intervening when necessary, but he doesn't react, when he is removed from the scene and sometimes he just laughs. I know he is young, but the no reaction is strange, and it doesn't seem to sink in that he is hurting his friends. Any ideas please

3. You are doing the right thing moving him away but make sure you keep it low key. At 2 years of age he doesnt 'get' that he is hurting his friends; he is doing it for a reaction.Always tricky, but try to give him attention for positive interactions with peers. He will grow out of this but this is a problem I've with 4 year olds before.