1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Biting

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by biodust, Dec 29, 2010.

1. My one year old has started biting myself and OH when we're playing with him. He's a very cuddly toddler and often climbes onto our laps and hugs us and it's in the middle of a hug (which he has initiated) that he finds the nearest bit of skin to bite. He has a lot of teeth for his age and is currently getting more through - I don't know if this is related or not. When he bites we say no firmly and put him on the floor. I'm not sure he understands as he just stares at us and finds the nearest toy to play with. Any advice?

2. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

You could try pushing into the bite - this can be startling for the biter.

3. My daughter is ten months and bites me and my husband. Sometimes I have to pinch her nose to get her to release me! I have got bruises all over my arms where I get bitten when I am dressing her etc. She only does it to me and my husband so I think it may partly be her expression of love as my other daughter did it too and didnt learn to kiss until about 18 months. I think you just have to let them know it is not a good thing to do but, as you said, they might not understand. It will pass so hang in there!

4. madenglishgirl

madenglishgirl New commenter

I reckon it's just a phase...
    My litt'lun went through this (she liked fingers especially) so what I did was pre-empted when she was going to bite (y'know when you see them lunge) and held her finger next to mine so she nipped herself - it soon reinforced the message that biting hurts and she wasn't to do it......funnily enough, she stopped after a couple of times!

5. Both my kids bit me when they were babies (my daugher used to bite me when I was breast feeding - ouch!). I know its taboo but I bit them back. Worked a charm - neither of them ever bit me again. People say you shouldn't do that as it just teaches them to bite even more but I think it just shows them that it hurts. Its no use saying its just a phase - I know someone who said that and was still dealing with it when her daughter was 4!

6. madenglishgirl

madenglishgirl New commenter

I wouldn't hesitate to do this now that she is older (2 yrs 9 months)
    I have also been known to smack for repeated defiance/disobedience (gasp! shock!) and I now have a wonderfully polite toddler who hardly ever tantrums. I take her anywhere and people will always, without fail, comment on how well she's been bought up....it can get quite embarrassing sometimes, but it doesn't half make me proud [​IMG]