1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bit of an odd question re: being off sick

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by anon3279, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Did you get the email by logging into your work email? I avoid work email like the plague when I'm off sick, although I do understand why some people check in.
    Perhaps they're doing some maintainance on the school laptops?
    Perhaps someone's has broken and they need to use yours because it's the only spare one?
    THere are probably lots of logical reasons. Oh, and I can empathise with the paranoia :)

2. bnm

bnm

If you're likely to be off for a while your replacement might need to use your laptop.

3. lrw22

lrw22 Occasional commenter

I am a supply teacher and when I cover long term sickness I often spend the first few days without a laptop. Schools often ring the absent teacher and ask them to return their school laptop so that the interactive whiteboard can be used. This is probably what they want your laptop for.

4. That's odd. The only time when I've had to return equipment is when leaving a job, so if you're merely off sick for a bit and theoretically not able to answer e-mails anyway, what was the point of e-mailing you about it (because you wouldn't have got the e-mail anyway)?
    I'd forget about it unless someone contacts you directly and if they do and ask about the e-mail, you say that you haven't read them because you've been too ill (while thinking duh in your head).

5. Thank you for the sensible answers.

6. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

Do the classrooms have pc's or is it just the portable laptops? If it is the latter then I would definitely say that your replacement needs it as another poster said. We have PCs in all classrooms at my school so not laptops are not issued but I know that without a PC or laptop in the classroom life would be very difficult as I couldn't take the register, access Word/PowerPoint, use the projector or view emails.
    Best wishes for returning to full health.