1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

BIT OF A DILEMMA WITH STUDENT!

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by daisy_chain, May 19, 2011.

1. daisy_chain

daisy_chain New commenter

I have not had a student (I would love one though!) but I have mulled this over and here is how I might handle it!
    A good old chat about assessment! Discuss school policy and ask about what he knows about assessment through his uni course. Casually bring up marking and how you manage to keep on top of it - ask him how he is managing it? Maybe he does a lot of verbal feedback and if this is the case tell him to invest in or make some "verbal feedback given" stickers. It might come up (and if he is a good guy it probably will!) that he has found keeping on top of the marking hard (we all do) and then that gives you the chance to emphasise the importance of marking for assessing and evaluating the children. I am not sure if you set targets for students but this would be a good one for him to work on.
    Hope you get it sorted, keep us posted!

2. y4me

y4me New commenter

Thanks, Daisy! A most helpful post! I'm going to take on board your advice! No one could be offended by that course of action!

3. Flyonthewall75

Flyonthewall75 New commenter

Or, then again, maybe he's following the advice given to teachers on some CPD courses I have been on: "Mark less to achieve more."
    When I challenged this concept I was told: "If the children can do the first 5 'sums' just assume they can do the rest."
    Really?
    Yes, apparently, the whole practice of teachers spending hours marking jotters away from pupils is now considered sooooooo 'yesterday'.
    Marking, if necessary, should now be done with the pupils individually, or in a group, so that they can learn from their mistakes rather than simply be presented with a piece of marked work.
    It sounds to me as if your student may tick all the boxes for early promotion.[​IMG]

4. Just tell him that you have noticed that not all the kids work is marked and that it is important to keep it up to date. He sounds so competent that to be let down by such a minor thing is silly. I'm sure that he will appreciate the reminder in the long run.

5. Don't forget peer assessment!! Maths works especially well and it gives the early finishers another task...