1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bistable latch - help needed please!

Discussion in 'Science' started by PinkHelen, Mar 19, 2012.

1. PinkHelen

PinkHelen New commenter

Hi all, I'm wanting to set up the bistable latch to use as a demonstration with my year 11 class for the OCR Gateway P6 unit. We've got a set of NOR gates to use now and an LED to use as an output device, but I have been struggling to set up the circuit. I've never really studied electronics (at school or at university) so have no expertise in this area at all.

I have the diagram below from the teacher/technician info we have, and I can set this bit up no problem, but I can't get my head around where A and D connect to, or where the two output wires go either. I've asked around in the department, and no-one can answer my question either.

EDIT: no idea how to upload a picture on here, and help is much appreciated! [​IMG]

2. PinkHelen

PinkHelen New commenter

Hi all, I'm wanting to set up the bistable latch to use as a demonstration with my year 11 class for the OCR Gateway P6 unit. We've got a set of NOR gates to use now and an LED to use as an output device, but I have been struggling to set up the circuit. I've never really studied electronics (at school or at university) so have no expertise in this area at all.

I have the diagram below from the teacher/technician info we have, and I can set this bit up no problem, but I can't get my head around where A and D connect to, or where the two output wires go either. I've asked around in the department, and no-one can answer my question either.

EDIT: no idea how to upload a picture on here, and help is much appreciated! [​IMG]

3. missmunchie

missmunchie New commenter

This looks like a more complete circuit, showing where all the wires go, just scroll down the page a bit.

http://www.doctronics.co.uk/4001.htm#other

I've never taught this but I have taught logic gates before.

4. PinkHelen

PinkHelen New commenter

Thanks, that's really helpful!