1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BISP

Discussion in 'English' started by paul_mc1, Jan 12, 2019.

1. paul_mc1

paul_mc1 New commenter

Just a quick question about whether there is any symbolism around Bruno receiving Treasure Island from Father for his birthday, particularly as Stevenson is Scottish. I have searched the Internet to see if there is a reference to it but can't. One of my very able Y7 boys picked up on this after we identified the possible references to anti-Semitism and dictatorial behaviour with Columbus and I wondered whether there is a reference or whether we are looking for something that is not there.

Many thanks

2. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

I'm not sure what you mean by 'not there'. If the student recognised some possible allusion, or found meaning in a cross-reference then I'd say it's valid. Whether or not the author intended it to be so is not entirely relevant, as long as the student doesn't submit an external assessment saying, "The author intended...." I'm not too familiar with Treasure Island but I'm guessing a story in which the character finds himself on an adventure has at least a few conncetions.

Also see here: https://www.bookish.com/articles/wh...uthor-john-boyne-hates-celeb-childrens-books/

3. gruoch

gruoch Established commenter

BISP?

4. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

Boy in Striped PJs

5. gruoch

gruoch Established commenter

I finally figured it out!
    Ages since I read/taught it and I didn't like it so I don't remember the 'Treasure island' gift. Sorry.