1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Birthday display was such a good idea...not sure now!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by minnieminx, Aug 30, 2011.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I downloaded the birthday cake display from rainbow resources. http://www.rainbowresources.co.uk/#/birthdays/4549614113 What a fab idea I thought...except now I'm sitting cutting out 30 soddin cupcakes, AFTER cutting out the bunting, presents, cake plates, etc!

AND THAT WAS AFTER...

Cutting out fish for target setting display. 60 little ones this time as the children need one for maths and one for English!
    http://www.rainbowresources.co.uk/#/targets/4550797604

Going to fall out with Rainbow Resources after this!

But classroom will look fab.

2. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

omg! I usually just cut out 12 balloons and some string and stick their names on! Going to have to look this up!

3. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Omg! I need this display in my classroom! Guess what i'm doing tomorrow?! :D

4. Haha, know how you feel Minnie! It took me hours and hours to laminate and cut out fish, spiders, rockets etc for keywords, tricky words, connectives and so on. I think they look fab now they're up so I'm glad I did it, but I was losing the will to live as I cut out yet another skinny spider...

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I've decided (and might change my mind later) to give up on the cupcakes and get some great year 6 children to do them for me at lunchtime on the first day of term. They will want to be able to put it in their application letter for a post of responsibility.

We are doing work in maths on dates and months in the first week, so won't actually need the display until the third day of term.

That is really bad and lazy though...

I did the same with all my VCOP stuff last year. Hired out year 6 girls for the spiders though! Definitely will be worth it and I'm not having names on the cupcakes, so can laminate everything and use it again next year. The children will just blutac their name and date of birth onto a cupcake and move it when they have a birthday.

6. I have balloons up for the months of the year (bilingual as in Wales) and on the visit morning, got my prospective y4s to decorate and cut out a birthday cake to add to the display.
    [​IMG] Their cutting and colouring skills left a lot to be desired and I'm not sure I want to use them now.

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I did wonder about getting them to cut one themselves...sense of ownership and all that. But I've year 2 so decided not to.

8. I got year 6s on my Jolly Phonics tricky word flowers once... never again!
    C x

9. Aaaghh - "this site has gone over it's daily download limit"...
    Roll on tomorrow!

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Eh? What?

11. It's what I got when I clicked on one of the resources...

12. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOLOLOL Sooo not just me then!

13. The race is in to get in there for our downloads first thing tomorrow!!

14. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOL Does seem a bit mad to have a limit!

I'm only downloading things that can be cut out with a paper trimmer, so straight edges. No more scissor work for me!

15. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

Oh no! I thought I'd get on early (I'd downloaded the editable presents and added the name of a month to each one, now need lettering and bunting), but it's already telling me that it's hit the daily download limit.
    At half past 7 in the morning?!! Either there's something wrong with the site, or there are hundreds of insomniac workaholic teachers out there.

16. I managed to download a target display but then couldn't download anything else. Maybe it will only let you downlaod one thing a day??

17. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I downloaded the presents yesterday. It won't let me download anything today.[​IMG]

18. Msz

Msz Established commenter

19. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

It can't be a daily personal limit because I downloaded loads of stuff last week when I fist knew about the site.

Weird.

20. Whatever you do DON'T get hooked on Pinterest and look for classroom ideas (they're mostly American but wowee they sure do go to town, some great ideas though), it's even more of a time waster than the shoe thread.
    My birthday display this year - back ground made with birthday wrapping paper, a group photo of the children who share the same birthday month mounted on plain coloured card and attached to the background with the month underneath - simples.
    But please don't talk to me about laminating and cutting I feel that I might need help when I have not one but TWO!!! laminators on the go at once. I also have a serious addiction to sticky dots and velcro (I don't do blutack!)