1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

birthday boards in Reception - any new ideas?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by geniegirl, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Sorry to jump on wagon, but I am also after ideas. This year we took a whole display board up with Birthdays, which I am reluctant to do again as I lost so much space and felt this board could have been used better. So far we have had trains, giant hot air balloons, or just their own individual balloon.
    I would like something quite simple next year which I can put their photo and the date on each month!

2. I had a piece of display card about A3 size or a bit bigger - got it from Staples and it's got balloons round the border. When it was the child's birthday I took a photo with them wearing the birthday hat and put it on the card. Didn't take up much room.

3. alsoamum

alsoamum New commenter

mine is quite basic but we find it effective

its an age display rather than months, I have 3 large lamintaed numbers (4,5 and 6 because I have an r/1 class) and a small photo of each member of the class which is blutacked to their age. When they have a birthday we move the photos, the children love to stand and count how many children on each age and discuss how they will move soon and then there'll be more on 5 etc ...

hope that makes sense. We have had a month display before but the children have enjoyed our age chart more and I've got some great observations out of their comments too.

4. fulloffun

fulloffun New commenter

Iv'e used the same idea for a couple of years now, birthday cakes from enchanted learning website,they are very colourful,the childrens names can be written on candoles and its a very good visual of the year .I do feel like a change though and there have been some good ideas.

5. Thank you for the suggestions so far.
    Quite like the idea of ages, although three different ages as alsoamum has would be more exciting.
    I have sort of used this in my pirate ship display:
    12 ships, one for each month with children's photos on board and date of birthday on the sails, all sailing in the 'Sea of 4'.
    Month by month they land at '5 Island', each child's photo and date is moved to a palm tree, again one for each month, on their birthday.
    Kids have really loved it so I'm fairly tempted to do it again - after all, the stuff's aleady made now!!
    Keep your suggestions coming please!