1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Birthday anxiety

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Bonnie23, May 30, 2018.

1. Bonnie23

Bonnie23 Occasional commenter

Hi,

Might be a bit of a weird one but does anyone else get anxious around their birthday? I turn 27 tomorrow and I've felt anxious all day.

I don't have high expectations of my birthday and obviously I've made it through 26 of them, I'm just confused as to why I feel anxious and wondered if anyone else felt that way or had any ideas as to why? I get similar feelings around Christmas as well.

My birthday does bring up bad memories of my biological father, the last time I saw him was on my 9th birthday but I barely think about him any other time of the year.

Thank you for any comments/advice/experience.
    B x

P.S. Due to having a lot of anxiety in the past I've been on citalopram for around 9 months now but my anxiety is strong enough to fight the medication at this point.

JosieWhitehead and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I hate my birthday and do my very best not to celebrate it.
    If I organise a drink or meal out, nobody comes. They say they will then I'm sitting waiting in the pub on my own.
    People get angry with me when I won't tell them what presents I want. I don't want presents, I don't want to celebrate at all. What is there to celebrate anyway? It's just an arbitrary moment in time.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

I wonder if mothers should get the gifts and congratulations on their offspring’s birthdays. After all they did all the hard work all those years ago. ;)

4. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

That's sad, Lilac! Nobody comes. :(

Bonnie, I think your birthdays unlock some deep seated feelings, so I understand that. :(

I now get anxious that I don't have many left!! :(

5. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

It occurs to me that the sum of the digits of your date of birth is identical to your age tomorrow, which in certain circles can only portend something very nice.
    Who knows-perhaps the ancient wisdom of Numerology has stronger foundations than the ancient wisdom of being over-anxious, and that alone will help you to enjoy some cake.

6. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I wouldn't be so certain of that, @sbkrobson. If you add up 31 + 5 + 1991, you end up with 2027, which in itself is fine, but if you subtract from that 666, the number you need to dial on your mobile to summon the devil, you end up with 1361, the very year that the Catholic church invented the model of hell that Catholics currently understand to be true. It's as spooky as it comes.

I'd forget about all that nonsense if I were you, @Bonnie23 and enjoy your birthday, for which I wish you a good one. Make the most of it. You don't know what I'd give to be 27 right now.

7. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

Perhaps you should have a TES birthday next time. You could start a birthday thread and we could all have a drink and respond to your thread. Like a virtual birthday party!

Jamvic, Lara mfl 05, Bonnie23 and 2 others like this.
  8. towncryer

towncryer Lead commenter

I don't get anxious but on the other hand I don;t really care about my birthday either.I know people who make a great fuss about their birthdays and need as many people to know as possible whereas I am the complete opposite and feel its a good year if nobody finds out. Celebrate your birthday in a way that suits you and then maybe you wont feel so anxious.Nobody needs to know and you don't have to feel obliged to hold a party or dinner or go out for drinks.It's your birthday...do what you want...and if that's nothing then fine,

9. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I understand what you mean and do feel a bit like that on Christmas and birthdays. I think it's the expectation that you are supposed to be 'having fun' when it's just another day.

10. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

Happy birthday @Bonnie23. I hope you aren’t feeling too anxious and manage to enjoy the day. X

11. Over_the_hill

12. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Well, DoY, fellow Bunkum Meister-my mystical conclusion was based on adding the digits not the numbers.
    That notwithstanding, @Bonnie23 I had thought when I posted that today was 1st June, therefore the hooey based conclusion I came to will not apply until your 29th birthday.
    But that doesn't matter-2 years of delicious anticipation of....erm....something or other aligning nicely.

In the meantime, for today-
    [​IMG]

13. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I know of people who let absolutely everyone know that it’s their birthday, so they can then proudly boast about the 30+ cards they have received.

I expect only my family will know when it’s mine- and they may forget! :p

14. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I think birthdays are often an excuse to do something ‘ special ‘ and some folk like being the centre of attention. I fall into neither category. :D I just like normality and routine and I suspect many folk ‘celebrate ‘ because it’s the norm . Just do what’s best for you - it’s very liberating

15. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

I've always hated being the centre of attention - one of the nightmares of my life would be a 'surprise party'. Luckily, my children are very aware of this! I never minded my birthdays when I was younger and enjoyed very low-key celebrations like family meals (which I didn't cook!) Having passed the big 6-0, I'm much less keen on marking the day now!

Jamvic, Lara mfl 05, InkyP and 3 others like this.
  16. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I have always enjoyed my birthday. I plan something that I will enjoy and inform Mr BS of his parts in the plan. Simple pleasures like a special breakfast and a trip to a favourite market or stately home.

Wishing you a very happy birthday, whatever you decide to do.

17. Over_the_hill

I once worked with a young teacher who made such a fuss about her birthday. She went on about it for ages beforehand so the kids all got her cards etc and she made a big display of them. She did no lessons all day, just had a party and played music. I didn’t even mention mine and let it pass. Her cringeworthy desire to be the centre of attention made me want to celebrate mine even less. I might go out for tea with the kids to avoid cooking but that’s about it.

towncryer, Lara mfl 05 and Bonnie23 like this.
  18. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Lead commenter

Awkward anecdote alert!

I worked in a department with a mad HoD- walking on eggshells around this person was a necessity. Anyway, she took it upon herself to want to celebrate my birthday. For 12 years she would give me a gift that I would have to open in front of the rest of the department. The problem was that she had the wrong date- it was 3 weeks before my actual birthday! The AGONY of going through this charade still hurts today. My long term colleagues loved it- the swines!!! :rolleyes:

My real birthday had to be 'forgotten' at work as the prospect of this woman's behaviour at being wrong about something didn't bear thinking about! She meant well I'm sure- even though I still think she knew what she was doing as she was a bit of a psycho- but talk about awkward!

Anyway- happy birthday OP!

19. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I got told off this year for not buying cakes and doughnuts for the department on my birthday.

It was revenge for them buying me a poxy card from poundland !

20. Over_the_hill

It could have been worse....in the Card Factory you can get a card for 19p!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.