1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Birmingham based Science teachers

Discussion in 'Personal' started by antheaaamb, Sep 9, 2018.

1. antheaaamb

antheaaamb New commenter

As part of my Masters dissertation I am looking for Birmingham based Science teachers to complete a quick (shouldn't take more than 8 mins) survey regarding their experience of teaching so far. The survey can be accessed here: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/G9PFQPJ .

Thank you,
    Anthea

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  2. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Tsk
    Annoyed again that somebody has posted a survey without deferring in words to the fact that we might be busy, we might not be relevant, we might not have received what it promises, thus-
    "You have read and understood the information sheet (which you will have received in a previous email)."
    Furthermore, if we are to read Survey Monkey's policies and privacy statements as you request, no, it will not take 8 minutes, it will take longer.
    If you want Birmingham based Science teachers, then send this survey to Science departments in Birmingham schools. Make sure you are consistent with what the survey states and what your participants have actually received. And make sure you don't plain lie about the time it will take.

Honestly, it's just laziness chucking it out here in the hope you'll sift off some responses; and your survey would then have zero validity. You cannot say who is going to fill it in. It's a public forum.

If this is part of your Masters Dissertation, your approach to surveying needs to be valid.
    Yet again, I am dismissive of a poorly executed survey because I value my own Masters qualification, and the lengths I went to to ensure that my research was done properly.
    Don't devalue the concept please.

monicabilongame, sabrinakat and nomad like this.
  3. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Why must they be from Birmingham?

4. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I agree with @sbkrobson!

Why not contact each school and its Science HOD and take a morning/afternoon to go there to interview various teachers? Or...get the names of individuals and contact them directly? Or do field work in Birmingham schools or....just about anything but a survey that anyone can do, the results mean nothing and your degree devalued?

Me: Oxbridge, an MPhil and PhD (History/Ancient History)...currently studying local history at Cambridge, where the internet is helpful but lots of paper research necessary, too.:)

5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Done but it wasn't really a survey . In fact I'm not sure what was wanted.

6. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Hello @antheaaamb. Have you considered posting your request over on the Science forum? You might even wish to approach schools directly via their social media accounts. I am sure that you will find many teachers will be happy to help if they are able, recalling their own studies and the help given them by their seniors.

Good luck with your studies. Hard work is always rewarded, be assured of that.

7. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Because we am the best!

yodaami2 likes this.