1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Birmingham area

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by penjam, Sep 22, 2015.

1. penjam

penjam New commenter

Hi All,

I am returning to the UK from teaching overseas. I would like to move to Birmingham and get a permanent post, however I am also wondering what the supply situation is like for a secondary geography teacher. I am also looking at completing my NQT, having been away for 4 years I am just in time to do supply within the 5 year rule. I am reading lots of news about a teacher shortage and and am hoping this would mean I can look for work outside the the south east. Any advice and information appreciated.

2. John_in_Luton

John_in_Luton Occasional commenter

If what you want is to do supply, then go through the agencies who will doubtless all be falling over themselves to beguile you. If what you want is a permanent job, ignore the agencies and apply direct to schools. Geography is a shortage subject at the moment so as long as you can persuade a school that your curriculum knowledge is up to date, you should be in with a chance.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Do read the advice blog about applying for jobs back in the UK after working overseas.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

5. penjam

penjam New commenter

Thanks Theo.

I have read through this information. It is very helpful.

Im wondering about the impact of the teacher crisis talked about in the news. Currently on the tes job site there are 53 geography jobs spread all over the country. This seems like quite a lot to me at this time of year (although I dont really know!) Im curious to know what the job market is like this year compared to more recent years?

Hope you can help.

6. John_in_Luton

John_in_Luton Occasional commenter

For geography? Dire for us as recruiters! My school recently spent 15 months and five TES ads trying to recruit a geographer.

7. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Rapidly becoming a shortage subject area with the expansion of the Bac and the decrease in PGCE Geography courses.