1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Birdsong: Anybody watch it?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by jacob, Jan 23, 2012.

1. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Driest First World War Western front ever? Fought in completely flat land? Even if it did dry out a bit in the summer of 1918 that period was one of the wettest ever in Flanders and the clay retained the water.
    It was slow, and there were all those stupid silences where a question was asked but no answer given. I thought people were polite in those days. lead actors were wet wimps.
    From what I remember the lead character was more sympathetic to his men, and the French family lived in a modest middle class town house in Amiens, not a dirty great big posh chateau with its own grounds. Admittedly its over ten years since I read the book.
    Thoughts?

2. joli2

joli2 New commenter

Well I enjoyed it, but then I'm easily pleased and I hadn't read the book. I like the way the landscape looked just like Paul Nash's paintings.

3. thebigonion

thebigonion New commenter

I kind of fancied the girl until I saw all the moles on her chest.
    Weird.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I read the book many years ago. Really enjoyed it but can't really remember the story. I was impressed by how quickly the land dried out. There was lots of brooding looks though.

5. I was disappointed; agree with what you said about prolonged blank or soulful gazes & silences. I thought the war parts were well done, but I find it very difficult to watch such things as I get older... & anyway, I see enough human misery on the news.

6. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

You certainly are ....

7. thebigonion

Why? I just don't do moles... I'd get distracted thinking it was a dot-to-dot or something.
    Freckles I can do - even interesting birthmarks. But bizarre cluster moles, nah.

8. Seduction by braille.

9. lrw22

lrw22 Senior commenter

I reaq the book years ago and enjoyed it. I started watching it last night but boyfriend came round about 15 minutes in and started whinging about it being boring and wanting to watch snooker so I gave in and said I would watch it on Iplayer another time. If I'd really been enjoying it I would never have backed down!!

10. thebigonion

You've now got me wondering if there's a market for braille tattoos for the visually-impaired alternative lifestylers out there...

11. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I loved it. Haven't read the book, mind. Those long silences, the looks...
    I welled up a couple of times.

12. That really does sum it up brilliantly!

13. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Philistines.
    Breasts aside it was still boring.

14. grrrrrrrrrrrrrr, which means I can't see it.
    I adore the book - I have read it zillions of times. Firegirl loved it too, if I remember correctly (or maybe she hated it, I am not sure).
    For me, it is one of those books which you never, ever forget, if you have read it.
    Like To Kill a Mockingbird.
    Or The Thirty Nine Steps.
    Or The Book Thief.
    Or The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas.
    Or Five Go to Billycock Hill.

15. [​IMG]
    It is the most beautiful and exquisite and moving and exceptionally crafted story...
    how tastes differ!

16. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I was disappointed by the book after reading so much about it - I quite liked the bits of Birdsong that focused on the war but couldn't see the point of the grandaughter's story and found her character and story line extremely irritating. I much preferred the Pat Barker trilogy.
    I was going to watch it on iplayer but 'Call the Midwife' caught my attention and I watched the first episode of it last night, loved it, and watched the second episode tonight. I may try to catch Birdsong later in the week.

17. That could be seen as a bit clumsy, yes.
    She as a character was not really very interesting, I agree with that. I can see the necessity for her as a literary construct, but as a protaganist she doesn't grip, no.
    But as a link between now and then - that is why the character was needed.
    Whether that was the ideal way - well heck, some of us spend years studying and debating this kind of thing.

18. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Boring. The bloke has a mouth like a carp. Who'd want to kiss a carp? Oh, a girl with dot-to-dot moles underneath her threepennies.....

19. I take it you mean this new film adaptation?
    As the "book" is actually a trilogy but I suspect only the Birdsong one is the BBC fimed one?
    All of the books involve Charles Hartmann.

20. Doglover

Doglover Occasional commenter

I haven't read Birdsong, as it never appealled to me although I have read some of Faulks other books - Girl at the Lion D'Or and of course Charlotte Gray, and some more recent books.
    I didn't fancy watching it, and in a way I am glad now I didn't.