1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bird In The Hand?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by cuteinpuce, Sep 27, 2015.

1. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

Big rugby match last night between England and Wales.

In the last minute, England are awarded a penalty. They have the chance to kick at goal and level the match - an honourable result. Instead, they kick for touch and go for the try which will win them the match. They don't get the try, Wales win and the roof falls in on the English captain who is roundly castigated on all sides for his poor decision.

Except that, only days ago, Japan in a very similar position against South Africa made the same decision, scored their try and achieved one of the most exhilirating results ever in rugby history.

What would you have done?

I am someone who always takes the safe option but wishes that I wasn't.

2. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

It's the rugby equivalent of "taking a risk" in an Ofsted observed lesson, like they were encouraging teachers to do a while ago - how many teachers did that? Absolutely none as far as I was aware.

Risks are fine as long as you can live with it not working or if you have little to lose. In sport people should take risks, it makes it exciting. Me, I'd have probably taken the risk, but then my risks never paid off in sport which is probably why I've never played team games, I provided the examples of what could go wrong.

3. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

The decision was made in the heat of the moment, we lost, had we played better throughout the game particularly the second half then we would probably have won. Wales played with their hearts and won, all credit to them.

4. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

We didn't lose: we won, thank you very much! [​IMG]

5. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

That is what I said xena.

6. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

It's a league: they should have gone for the draw. It would have been a draw for Wales as well. Wales looked dead and out of it so the comeback caused England to have the head staggers. Pity it was Wales that beat them.

7. T34

T34 Lead commenter