1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

bird identification

Discussion in 'Personal' started by cosmos, Jun 24, 2011.

1. I rescued a small bird this morning, whilst out for a walk, that had flown into a window and stunned itself. I didn't recognise it and can;t find it in my bird book.
    About the size of a sparrow with a small stubby beak, more like a redpoll than anything else. It was a donkey-brown colour with slate-blue lower wings and a broad white band above the tail.
    Does anyone recognise this description?

2. did it have a small stubby beak before it flew into the window?

3. That was my first thought, but the beak appeared undamaged

4. A sparrow?
    A Donkey?

5. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

[​IMG]
    Female chaffinch?

6. Thanks for the suggestion jacob - it doesn't have the blue wings and white tail bar I saw though. The closest i can find is a juvenile bullfinch but that's not right either.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

No idea what your wee bird is but thank you for mentioning the redpoll as it turns out that's what I saw a couple of weeks ago when we went to the coast for the day. It's been bugging me since then and now I know - it was a male redpoll.

8. Juvenile bullfinch??
    [​IMG]From RSPB website

9. That is the closest I could find too coalwoman. The size and shape as well as the white bar are right although the wings aren't the same colour.
    Thank you for looking.

10. What an idiot I am!!!! You'd already said juvenile bullfinch!

(Smacks self across head emoticon)

Hope you find out Cosmos......interesting!

11. [​IMG]

It was a juvenile bullfinch - although the body feathers were darker than this one, the wings are the right colour. Mystery solved.

12. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Wonderful little piece of perfection!
    Did it recover?

13. I like to think it did giraffe - fingers crossed.
    This is his daddy - isn't he a handsome chap!

[​IMG]

14. I thought it could have been a baby Jay until I saw the above IDs. They are beautiful.
    I have explained to my cats about not eating them too.

15. My cat got the skelping of her life a week or so ago when she brought a young blue tit home - alive, thank goodness. I walloped the cat with a rolled up newspaper and she was so startled she opened her mouth and the bird flew off apparently unharmed.
    Much as I love cats I hate that they catch birds - will a collar with bells work?

16. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Birds that have been caught by cats rarely survive because they get infected by pasteurella bacteria on the claws [​IMG]
    I suggest muzzles and mittens for all cats

17. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

And all she was doing was making a submissive offering of food to you, the dominant member of her pack. She probably thinks you were dissatisfied with the size of the portion and will bring a bigger one home next time, along with fries and a Diet Coke. She'll also hide it somewhere in the house to avoid the wrath of the Great Swinging Newspaper ;-)

18. Take heed of this. A friend's cat dragged a rather large (dead) parrot through the car flap as an offering. He was ever so pleased with himself.

19. I know you're right, and had it been dead would have praised her lavishly. But I'm afraid I just reacted to the fact that it was alive and could be saved.
    I had a cat several years ago that regularly brought rats and pigeons home, mostly dead, and another that brought me gifts of rabbits. Big ones. Once he brought a pheasant chick that i managed to catch and took across three fields to release only for the cat to bring it back again. Unfortunately it wasn't big enough to eat.