1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Biracial twins: Are they really more different than any other non identicle twins?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by delmamerchant, Sep 24, 2017.

1. delmamerchant

delmamerchant Established commenter

Originally this article drew my interest as I thought it was going to be an intelligent one about the biracial twins. Instead, as I read it, I found myself feeling quite annoyed at the manner in which the article worked hard to express the differences between the twins and focus more on their skin colour going out of its way to emphasise the differences. Once you look behind the colour, are they really that different? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-t-different-quirk-mixed-raced-parentage.html

2. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

There's just a large difference in the most visually obvious traits of skin and hair, they might have even more different liver enzymes, or identical blood groups but you can't see those things.

The posed photos for the newspaper are made to emphasise the skin difference as much as they can, light skinned girl in a black dress and darker (not actually that dark) skinned girl in a white dress. Bit of an odd article.

zizzyballoon likes this.
  3. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

My twin grandsons are like this, one has a light afro and slightly afro-caribbean features and one has straight hair and more European features. It's a non-story.

4. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

Yep.

5. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

And I wasted 5 minutes reading it :(

sbkrobson, InkyP and zizzyballoon like this.
  6. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Tbh I didn't even bother, these stories crop up regularly.

7. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Gottcha.

Here's a tip, if I may-when needing an actual news story, quickly check the name of the paper before deciding whether to proceed.

lunarita and InkyP like this.
  8. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

HI thought that the girls were actually very similar. The paler one only has straight hair because she straightens out her natural curls. They have similar physiques and facial features.
    One of the brothers also differs from the other two brothers, and has similar hair colour and skin to the paler sister.
    I can't see that they are the only bi-racial twins in the world as one article claims. Two eggs fertilising at the same time have the same chance of favouring one or other parent as two eggs fertilised in different pregnancies
    My daughter has a friend who is a twin. She often gets asked is she and her twin brother are identical!

9. delmamerchant

That is what I think . I wonder how they feel about it all. They seem well adjusted.

10. delmamerchant

they are not the only biracial twins that have different skin tone. I am in awe at the way the press manipulate the reporting of these girls. They clearly have a choice.in it all and I hope they have made some money from it.

slingshotsally likes this.