1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bipolar disorder

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by xtra, Jul 21, 2011.

1. xtra

xtra New commenter

I am a head of department and I have been on anti-depressants for the past year and have made two suicide attempts in the last 6 months. I don't want to go into too much detail here but I've been off work for 2 months with severe depression. During an appointment with my psychiatrist today it was suggested that I may have bipolar disorder. I am due to go for further test but am worried about how this will affect my career. Can anyone advise?

2. xtra

xtra New commenter

I am a head of department and I have been on anti-depressants for the past year and have made two suicide attempts in the last 6 months. I don't want to go into too much detail here but I've been off work for 2 months with severe depression. During an appointment with my psychiatrist today it was suggested that I may have bipolar disorder. I am due to go for further test but am worried about how this will affect my career. Can anyone advise?

3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

It will have much less affect on career than suicide.

4. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

Dear xtra
    I have PM'd you
    Ruthie

5. i have a relative with bi-polar. when medicated properly it doesn't affect her job at all. i know another lady with bi-polar who refuses to take medication and she has been unfit for work for years now. it is classed as a disability so it shouldn't affect your chances of promotion/changing schools when you declare it on medical forms.