1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Bipolar diagnosis and ending contract

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by phoebe84, May 16, 2011.

  1. I've had a complete breakdown (working as a KS4 teacher played a significant part) and am now being treated for Bipolar and anxiety disorders. I don't feel I can go back to my post at all (signed off until at least June). Does anyone know what options are open to me? I've contacted my union but they are being very slow to reply. I feel I may be in a better position for moving forward in September (hopefully starting a Masters conversion course so that I can one day work in HE) if I could end my contract asap and just be classed as unemployed rather than long term sick leave. Any advice/information on this would be greatly appreciated.
  2. marshypops

    marshypops New commenter

    Have you contacted your area union rep (not your school one)?

    Take care x
  3. marshypops

    marshypops New commenter

    Also, it might be worth your while posting this on "pay and conditions"?
  4. You are not in a fit state of mind to make a rational decision about your future. Take time out (off sick) to give yourself time and space to recover. Get in touch with your regional union office and tell them what's going on and ask for their support. Ask for an Occupatioal Health referral. You have a contract that says you are entitled to sick pay. Use it. Take the meds and any support you are offered. Don't do anything hasty. Good luck.
  5. Don't make any important decisions whilst you feel this way. Bi-polar can lead to warped thinking and things that seem so right can actually not be the best thing to do. Contact your union direct rather than the rep who is being slow and find out where you stand.
    If you need to talk you could join a peer support group like http://mhsanctuary.freeforums.org
    You'll find a lot of support and advice from people who understand.

Share This Page