1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Biology..........what makes you heave?

Discussion in 'Science' started by hadron, Feb 23, 2012.

1. 1) The smell of 15 dissected hearts, about 30 mins into the lesson, on a warm summer day
    2) The worry of giving an electric shock to a pupil who is desperate to put their hand on the van der Graaf generator & have their hair stand on end.

2. spolem1

spolem1 New commenter

I will only dissect fresh eyes. The ones which have been previously frozen smell. Bad.
    I can do maggots, to the delight of our technician who won't touch them. I am also quite happy with locusts. The only thing I can't do is spiders, but luckily that hasn't come up yet!
    When I took A level bio we took 2 weeks plus to dissect a dogfish. Those days have gone, though.

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Same here. And two weeks to dissect a rat. Slightly less time to dissect a very large earthworm. It was fun then!

4. TeacherBiology

TeacherBiology New commenter

Eyeballs are fine, so are hearts.
    For my year 9s I got a whole rabbit, pinned it to a board shaved it and did a whole dissection, I cut ininto the digestive system and that actually made a few kids sick and made me heave and retch alot!

5. It doesn't make me heave but when we get rats to dissect finding a pregnant one during the dissection still bothers me.