1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Biology or Physics PGCE

Discussion in 'Science' started by Cosmic_Rainbow, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Cosmic_Rainbow

Cosmic_Rainbow New commenter

I have applied to do a PGCE in Biology and have an interview in 2 weeks time BUT...... i have been workin in a physics department of the school and have really enjoyed it and have found it really interesting. I have found a physics enhancement course that i will be able to complete in time for september start.
    Will it look bad if i go to my Bio interview and say actually I want to do physics now.
    Eveyone I have spoken to so far has told me that this will just make the uni more interested in offering me a place but Im a bit worried that this might completely blow my chances at gaining a place for sept as the uni might think im wasting their time.
    To be fair tho I did apply for Biology in October so i have had months of working in physics to change my mind

2. Cosmic_Rainbow

I have applied to do a PGCE in Biology and have an interview in 2 weeks time BUT...... i have been workin in a physics department of the school and have really enjoyed it and have found it really interesting. I have found a physics enhancement course that i will be able to complete in time for september start.
    Will it look bad if i go to my Bio interview and say actually I want to do physics now.
    Eveyone I have spoken to so far has told me that this will just make the uni more interested in offering me a place but Im a bit worried that this might completely blow my chances at gaining a place for sept as the uni might think im wasting their time.
    To be fair tho I did apply for Biology in October so i have had months of working in physics to change my mind

3. MarkS

MarkS New commenter

It depends on the University, but it may not actually make a lot of difference to what you actually do on the course, and certainly won't affect a lot of the practical tecahing - you'll be teaching general Science at Key Stage 3, and possibly at Key Stage 4 depending on the school.
    It will do you no harm at all to take the Physics enhancament course. You can then discuss this with the course tutors at your interview - they will probably be very impressed that you are prepared to do this before the PGCE even starts.
    Your future job prospects will certainly be enhanced by being able to offer Physics...as a Head of Science, it is always hard to get physicists and chemists!
    Mark

4. missmunchie

missmunchie New commenter

Can't you do both?
    I know that a few Physicist on my course combined their Physics PGCE with Maths for example.

5. Cosmic_Rainbow

I have my interview next week.

Im just worried that if i mention i want to do the physics enhancement that it might put them off by thinkin i dont know what i want to do. when this is not the case. i just want to teach science and i thought that by doin the physics it will increase my likelihood of gettin a job after the course

6. MarkS

MarkS New commenter

I think that's a totally reasonable statement, and will certainly increase your employability. As I say, it probably won't make a lot of difference to your PGCE course, and I can't see it putting them off!
    Mark

7. As the people have said earlier it really doesnt matter which course you enter- you mainly teach all three sciences for ks3 and ks4.

I am doing a biology PGCE at the moment and i am teaching everything at ks3 and ks4 (i am currently fighting to get A level Bio classes though).

I should have probably done the chemistry PGCE, more money while training and the exact same teaching- oh and since i am in wales i do not get the golden hello for biology!

There are 5 Chemistry PGCEs on the course- one did an economics degree (with a chemistry enhancement course) and another did a microbiology degree.... so once you can prove that you have what it takes to become a competent teacher you should definitely get in.

8. Speaking as a biology trainee currently seeking an nqt position, I say go for physics as you'll get more money while training and it will massively increase your chances of getting a job at the right school for you. Good luck!

9. It is a certainty that Physics will make you more employable compared to Biology. But your University will have considered your application for Biology and invited you to interview due to your Biological background. The fact you have to do a Physics enhancement course suggests your not qualified to teach it just yet. If you do Biology as a PGCE you will have ample opportunity to teach Physics and completing the enhancement course will simply increase any schools chances of letting you engage in that subject during training. Go to your interview, talk about how much you love Biology, love teaching and love Science. Once your foot is in the door you can test the water with Physics and start some more concrete inquiries. Universities will want to offer a place to someone who knows what they want. Not someone who is thinking of changing life plans!

My opinion is get your foot in the door before mentioning anything. At least then they know you passionate about teaching and thats the main point.

10. Cosmic_Rainbow

Thank for all the advice. I explained to them at interview that i had changed my mind and wanted to do the enhancement and teach physics. he didnt seem put off at all was actually quite impressed that i had found a course and everything, he even went on about how much more money i would get, lol.
    A week later i was offered a place on the condition that i complete the enhancement course :) [​IMG]