1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Biology graph - dot to dot?

Discussion in 'Science' started by pookyrobin, May 21, 2010.

1. So this graph should not be a dot to dot.

2. lbaloosy

lbaloosy New commenter

I have found instances in mark schemes where short straight lines are preferred over lines of best fit. This is likely the chosen option due to the sensitivity of variables in Biological research and an 'unknowing' of what is occurring between measured points.

This link is a great read:
    file:///N:/Downloads/A2AS-BIOL--REVISED-Support-9045%20(1).pdf

3. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Big discussion recently on this on the Biotutor list. I admit to not recalling it in full, but if I remember aright, the answer is "some exam boards allow it in some circumstances and some don't allow it in other circumstances."

4. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Established commenter

OCR A level Biology has changed from allowing dot to dot graphs for the outgoing specifications to insisting on best fit lines for the incoming ones

5. lindsaygii

lindsaygii New commenter

Cambridge IGCSE Biology looks for dot-to-dot, but Physics for line of best fit. I'm quite sure of this because I mark Paper 6 (alternative to practical) for both subjects.
    The teacher is probably following the mark schemes. Whether that is right or wrong is a different debate!