1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Biology Field Trip - anywhere in world

Discussion in 'Science' started by luckyblue, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Hi,
    Does anyone know or use any good Biology field centres? We follow the edexcel A level biology spec, and are looking to take the year 13s on a bio field trip next year. Looking for any suggestions , anywhere in the world at the moment. Somewhere for them to get experience in lots of field work , investigations etc.
    Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

2. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Anywhere?
    My son went to Honduras for two weeks with this lot:
    http://www.opwall.com/
    a week doing ecological survey type work and then a week spent diving. Not cheap but a fantastic experience.

3. Field studies council are excellent, I recommend Dale Fort in Pembrokeshire.

4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Yes, Dale Frot. Brillaint. We go every year and are off there in April.

5. Thanks for the ideas!
    Will have a look at Opwall.com and the Dale Fort in more detail.
    We are based abraod , so were looking at other options apart from the UK, but the FSC are very good.
    Thanks for the info!

6. I work in Chiang Mai, Thailand and we use this centre for most of our trips.
    http://www.track-of-the-tiger.com/pages/mrvr.html
    Track of the Tiger is the umbrella company and they have different sites in N Thailand. We go the the Maekok Outdoor Education Centre (Y7, Y10 - general outdoor Science stuff) and sometimes to Pang Soong Lodge (Y12/13 - Environmental Management coursework). Our Geography department do their field work there and we also take ourY12/13s there for leadership courses. They get schools from around the World coming there.

7. Hi
    This sounds great. Will have a look at the tiger website. Many thanks!!
    I think the other one might be a little far, but will keep it in mind still!!

8. Goat2

Goat2 New commenter

A few years back a London company was offering field studies for Biology in Morrocco. Suspect they may now be out of business given the political situation.
    Coasts of Brittany is amazing for 'rocky shore', very much as I remember the Devon coast when doing work there in the 1960's.

9. djwill

djwill New commenter

We've also used the Maekok River Outdoor Centre in Norhern Thailand (http://www.mrvproject.com/ - as mentioned previously by man in chiang mai) and we have always been hugely impressed with their set-up. We use it for Geog and Bio fieldwork, but also take our International Award groups there.
    The owner, Bryan, has a load of experience at running fieldwork and came up with loads of ideas when I asked about other projects. The Centre also has a grat set of facilities for team-building etc and their staff are great.
    Can't say enough good about it, really!