1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Biography recommendations

Discussion in 'Book club' started by friedgreentomatoes, Aug 29, 2019.

1. friedgreentomatoes

friedgreentomatoes Senior commenter

I've recently finished biographies of Thomas Cromwell and Kathleen Kennedy - very different from each other but both equally fascinating. I would welcome recommendations for biographies that others have enjoyed!

2. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Lead commenter

You might not have heard of him but the polymathic former MP and television broadcaster Bryan Magee (who died very recently) was a fascinating character.

If this lengthy profile engages you, there is plenty to go at.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2003/jun/07/classicalmusicandopera.interviews

First of all, there's A Hoxton Childhood: Clouds of Glory.

Then there's Growing Up in a War.

The final volume of this autobiographical trilogy is called Making the Most of It.

I am planning to have a crack at all three between now and Christmas.

There's also Confessions of a Philosopher which I thought was truly exceptional. Although I don't share Magee's love of classical music, his prose style is delightfully eloquent but also wonderfully clear.

friedgreentomatoes likes this.
  3. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Lead commenter

Jeanette Winterson's Why Be Happy When You Could be Normal? is another autobiography I am going to read shortly.

Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit was hilarious, so it will be interesting to find out more about her Pentecostal upbringing.

minnie me and friedgreentomatoes like this.
  4. friedgreentomatoes

friedgreentomatoes Senior commenter

I've read Why Be Happy When You Could be Normal? and really enjoyed it - it was very interesting to cross-reference with Oranges. I will have a look at Bryan Magee, thank you.

NoseyMatronType and minnie me like this.
  5. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Autobiography- ‘The Boy with the Topknot’ - Sathnam Sanghera. Fabulous.

‘All My Puny Sorrows’ by Miriam Toews - story about her ( suicidal ) sister. Stunning.

friedgreentomatoes likes this.