1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bio Metric Scanning and Signing in and Out

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Mysti, Jan 11, 2012.

1. New school has biometric system where you use your finger print to sign in and out and buy food in canteen,

But I do not want to, I wish to keep signing in the visitors log in and out and i'll bring sandwhiches in.

How and can I legally say no?

2. New school has biometric system where you use your finger print to sign in and out and buy food in canteen,

But I do not want to, I wish to keep signing in the visitors log in and out and i'll bring sandwhiches in.

How and can I legally say no?

3. My university had this but one of my lecturers refused and he used to have a card that the canteen scanned and signed in each day.
    At my school we have a teacher who refuses to use his electronic fob because he sees it as 'Big Brother' watching his movements- he spends most of his time knocking to be let into the building or the staffroom.

4. hmmn.. I would be fine with a fob because its not actually registered or 'you'.
    I keep getting asked to do it, and I want to tell them no but need to know what standing I have. I think it will be difficult as they will insist, thats what everyone tells me anyway.
    Please please advise.

5. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

I would ask your union about the legalities of your employer keeping a copy of your fingerprints on a database.

6. Yes, I plan to ask my union today. Apparently from my research, the fingerprint is not kept but a series of numbers are encrypted to my pattern and it will be destroyed once you leave school.
    I still dont feel comfortable with it and I feel quite strongly about it. But I think it will cause trouble as I'm new. Oh well...!
    Still, anymore ideas please.

7. Just in case this helps anyone else, I found out from the union that there is a legislation coming in soon (Freedom Bill) that will make it so that written permission has to be sought from you first, which of course you can refuse.
    They also advised to get a copy of the policy in the school and see if there are alternatives there.
    There was an alternative and I have gone for that - so yeah happy!

8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

My school uses the fingerprint system in the canteen. However from my observations when on break duty about 40% of attempts to use the machines are unsuccessful.

9. This was introduced at my school a couple of years back but for library books & canteen only. Students(parents) & staff were given the option to opt out which some did - no problems.
    For food canteen staff just type in the students name - need an ID for the till to accept & go direct to the burser to put money into their account - and staff are known to them
    It also does not work for a few & it seems to take the same amount of time to go through the tills, but the + side is that money does not need to be carried by students - less theft/loss problems

10. I don't understand the idea less theft of money. How? How often did it happen anyway? !

11. 576

576 Established commenter

I guess it's like the system my old school introduced (hey maybe it even is my old school) There parents paid money (through the school website using their credit card) to an account, and the cost of the pupil's lunch was debited from the account at the till. Ta da - no need for the little dears to bring cash.
    Except of course for those who preferred to walk to the nearby local shops and stuff their faces with junk food. But they are clearly not Jamie Oliver fans.