1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bins, grr!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by giraffe, Mar 13, 2012.

1. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

A few weeks ago our green, paper recycling box was nicked, despite having our street name and number painted prominently on it.
    I have been puttting paper out in carrier bags instead on collection days.
    This morning it reappeared in the back service road and so we loaded it with papers and cardboard. I intended to go and get it back in as soon as the collecters had been, but they came when I was out.
    Even though there were several different boxes out there belonging to neighbours, ours went missing again. I had a walk round and checked the locality, but no sign of it. I was well tiddled off and muttered about box nickers and what I'd like to do to them.[​IMG]
    A friend of ours phoned and asked if I would sit with his elderly father for a bit while he went out to get something from the shops.
    On my return home, I found a really grubby, black recycling box near the back gate. It hadn't been there when I left.

And the oddest thing - it had our street name and number painted on it in a mixture of capital and lower case letters..... [​IMG]

2. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

A few weeks ago our green, paper recycling box was nicked, despite having our street name and number painted prominently on it.
    I have been puttting paper out in carrier bags instead on collection days.
    This morning it reappeared in the back service road and so we loaded it with papers and cardboard. I intended to go and get it back in as soon as the collecters had been, but they came when I was out.
    Even though there were several different boxes out there belonging to neighbours, ours went missing again. I had a walk round and checked the locality, but no sign of it. I was well tiddled off and muttered about box nickers and what I'd like to do to them.[​IMG]
    A friend of ours phoned and asked if I would sit with his elderly father for a bit while he went out to get something from the shops.
    On my return home, I found a really grubby, black recycling box near the back gate. It hadn't been there when I left.

And the oddest thing - it had our street name and number painted on it in a mixture of capital and lower case letters..... [​IMG]

3. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

We live in a "nice" area and put our recycling bins out on a dead end country road with about 5 other houses on it. Our bins were about 3 years old and very grubby when mine were nicked. When I rang to order some new ones, the women at the council wasnt surprised and said we would be surprised to know how many get nicked, often to be used as storage in someones garage. The thing was I watched the binmen empty them from my kitchen window, turned to put something away and then went out to bring them in, no more than a couple of minutes later. As I could see all the way up my lane and noone was around, I could only asume the binmen had a nice line going in second hand storage boxes![​IMG]

4. It's either the Wombles or the CIA.

5. sparklyeyes

sparklyeyes New commenter

I live on a council estate and mine never get pinched.

6. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Bauble, do you really think it could be the CIA?
    Have they been going through my bins, checking my wastepaper?
    That would explain the odd writing on the black box; it could be code of some sort.

Or it could really be Wombles.....

I will give it some serious consideration today.

7. I must admit it is hard to tell the difference but I think the CIA talk into their coat sleeves and wear dark glasses whereas the Wombles are covered in fur and very rarely talk into their sleeves.

8. marymoocow

Thought I'd just spotted a womble by my bin, but no it was just a dog cocking it's leg. Unless of course the dogs are in it with the wombles. Or maybe it is the CIAs new covert strategy?

9. Keep watching the dog...he may give us a lead.

10. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

11. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

Thank you - best laugh of the week [​IMG] (I am a simple soul)

12. marymoocow

13. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

our street in Leeds had a green bin with
    'I am not a number, I am a free wheelie bin'
    written on it.

14. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

I could not be ***** with the new reime when they brought it in last year. I do not want various boxes wandering the street. As we already recycle (by taking it to the tip on the way to the shops) all I now do is take a black bag of the general trash too. I particulary do not agree with this "slop bin" thing which can have festering food in it for a week. Disgusting.