1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bin-jumping

Discussion in 'Personal' started by DrLinus, Jun 5, 2020.

?

Are you a trash-trampoliner?

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  1. DrLinus

DrLinus Lead commenter

Nothing to do with parkour, skateboards or bicycles but the practice of standing in a wheeled bin, holding the rim and jumping up and down as if on a particularly rigid trampoline in order to compress rubbish and recover space for more rubbish.

I had not observed this behaviour until a blended family of chavs recently moved nearby.

Today I noticed this behaviour from a family long established in the neighbourhood

Have you notice the spread of this or other unseemly and unusual behaviours?

Is covid-19 or the stress of "lockdown" responsible for some kind of widespread cognitive or behavioural collapse?

Poll above, thanks.

sodalime likes this.
  2. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

If I saw that in my road, would flip my lid.

3. sodalime

sodalime Star commenter

I only do it in the garden waste bin. I really need an additional bin.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Standing in the bin sounds a bit unsavoury to me, but it certainly works a treat in the top drawer of the teacher desk if you've had the same classroom for over three years.

(Marie Kondo would need an ambulance if she saw...)

Jamvic, agathamorse, LiamD and 3 others like this.
  5. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Established commenter

Do you mean they're doing it to your bin or their own? It makes sense to squash the rubbish to fit more in so I'm not sure what you're worried about.

knitone, agathamorse and chelsea2 like this.
  6. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I wish I was still nimble enough to be able to climb up and get in the bin!!
    (Please don't misunderstand me!!! :p)

LiamD and smoothnewt like this.
  7. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

It's likely to be because the bins have been less frequently emptied; don't be too hard on them - at least it is going into the appropriate place - they could simply litter the street with it. Or, as happens around here from time to time, dump it in a lay-by.
    [​IMG]

8. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

MrB does it regularly. He also inherited an additional, extra large, garden waste bin from a neighbour who was moving out and he fills it and wheels it over, in the dark, to a house nearby which is currently unoccupied and then collects it after dark the next day when the bin men have emptied it.

9. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Why would you want to post that he is squirreling himself double the waste disposal service compared to others, without paying for it, when waste disposal and the accrual of waste itself is such a contentious issue? You could choose to ask "how much waste can I get away with disposing of" or you could choose to ask "what could I do to limit the waste accumulated in the first place.
    You depict it as some sort of triumph, when actually it is pretty unfair.

I know I sound preachy,but I don't care, sorry. Waste disposal is a circular and collective phenomenon, and everybody is able in one way or other to mitigate both cost and damage from it. On some level that is apparent to you, since you think that there is a legitimate need for him to be furtive and sneaky in this. Why would that be, then?
    If it's fine for him to do, he can do it in broad daylight, no?

theworm123 likes this.
  10. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

Haha, point taken but on the scale of things I don't see it as a big wow. It's hardly the crime of the century.

11. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Or, of course, Mr Bedlam could put the garden waste into his landfill bin. Would that be better?
    When I was a teenager, my Mum used to jump on the rubbish so it fitted into the bin, but this was in the days before recycling bins or garden waste bins. I have no memory of having had to do it myself, though sometimes I do need to squidge the garden waste down so I can get more in. Our landfill bin is one of the small ones, and rarely is it over half-full, but there are only two of us.

agathamorse likes this.
  12. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

I have a 4ft cast iron candle stand. It has a flat circular disc base. I use that to squish down the contents of the garden waste bin- I can usually double the amount I can fit in it. However, there has been two occasions where they wouldn't empty it as it was too heavy.
    Regarding recycling bin, it's only Christmas when it fills too quickly with cardboard, so ripping and tearing helps. I always squish plastic bottles with boiling water.
    The general waste bin never fills to the top.
    However, I regularly have to leap about in Biffa bins at weekend events, where we pay for ten to be emptied but have 15 bins worth of stuff to get rid of!

magic surf bus likes this.
  13. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I’ve never seen or heard of this. I do bash down with a garden spade the garden waste in the green waste wheelie bin, though. The fortnightly collection is just not enough at this time of year.

sodalime likes this.
  14. frustum

frustum Star commenter

It's a bit sneaky to have a second green bin but avoid paying the extra charge levied in most council areas. On the other hand, we used to put our surplus green waste in the bin of our friends over the road, who had a tiny garden, in return for lending them our lawnmower, and that's not so very different.

Jonntyboy and magic surf bus like this.
  15. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Our Council started to charge separately for the green waste collection this year. I opted out, because I invariably have too much green waste to be collected, so take it to the local tip. I might as well take the lot.

I went this week with 26 bags of garden waste (the lockdown accumulation) - two trips needed, with long queues on both occasions. Still, it's done now for a few weeks.

I put my general waste out probably once every 6 weeks. Recycling stuff is collected fortnightly, and is always full to overflowing (we have a wheely bin which collects it all). I've often wished I could climb into it to squash it down!

Food waste is collected weekly, thankfully, as that is always full. I live alone, so not sure how families cope with that (perhaps I eat a lot?? I certainly don't waste food!)

16. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Definite green waste bin bouncer here, due to fortnightly collections. It's amazing how much you can compress hawthorn hedge cuttings with a bit of wheelie bin bouncy bouncy (fnarr). Another trick with garden waste is to put it into a smaller recycling box or stacker box and trample it into a cube, if you don't fancy ascending the lofty heights of the wheelie bin ("you can see our house from up here").

I'm not sure I'd tread in the food waste bin though. o_O

17. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

The wheelie bins in our area are for garden waste and food scraps with other types of waste going into different coloured sacks and containers. Anyway, when cutting back various shrubs and bushes the garden waste gets quite bulky and I have been known to stand on top of the garden waste and jump up and down in order to compress it.

sodalime and agathamorse like this.
  18. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

We compost our garden waste so don't have a green bin. Our council doesn't collect food wast but does subsidize the cost of a large composting bin for food waste so we invested in one of those as it is rat proof. Our general waste bin is usually only half full, if that, and is collected fortnightly. Recycling is in stupid green bags which open in the wind sending the contents everywhere. Would prefer a wheelie bin as we had in our last area.

19. LiamD

LiamD Occasional commenter

Does no one here compost?

Sorry beaten to it

sodalime likes this.
  20. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

You won't believe my mother's one-woman mission to ensure everyone's garden waste bins are completely full... First, she rings me up most weeks and tells me she needs me to do some gardening at my place to generate waste take over to her so she can fill her bin (presumably trying to get her money's worth). Then, sometimes when there's a lot of waste, she goes round the road inspecting her neighbours' bins and puts all her spare stuff in their bins, then phones me up to tell me. She sounds scandalised that other people don't fill their bins completely. She used to go round at night so as not to cause offence, but no one seems to mind so now she does it in broad daylight.

This makes her sound completely deranged, I know. In nearly everything else, she isn't at all odd, but there's something about the sight of an half-empty garden waste bin that makes her go a little strange.