1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Billy the Kid

Discussion in 'Primary' started by angiebabe, Feb 25, 2012.

1. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

Would really like some advice about this - thanks.

2. I've read the book to my daughters (Y4 and 5) and it is a very good book. They are not into football but still enjoyed it. It's a fairly easy book to read on a basic level but it is a moving plot - made me cry - so would be good for inference. What sort of ability is the child? To get much out of it I would think he'd have to be a pretty able, mature Y4.

3. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

Thanks - he is an able read but struggles with comprehension skills. He is reading the book with his mum (I'm his tutor). I just wasnt sure whether he was mature enough for the subject matter as he seems a very quiet shy boy. I was going to try him with The Iron Man first and then move on to some Michael Murpurgo books.

4. There are different aspects of the plot that you could go into in depth rather than the more difficult ones. However, there are a couple of really sad bits, especially when the people who harboured him when he escaped are shot. Michael Morpurgo has loads of great books you could use - how about starting with The Butterfly Lion or Wreck of the Zanzibar?

5. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

Thanks redrobin - I think he is a little too 'young' for this book. Will definitely try Butterfly Lion.