1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bill Gates on Desert Island Discs

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by JaquesJaquesLiverot, Feb 7, 2016.

1. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

Dear Kirsty, I've got a good idea for a programme - like Desert Island Discs, but with famous people...

Bill Gates on Desert Island Discs

I'm not a fan of Microsoft particularly, but I found this quite interesting - how he left Harvard because he and Paul Allen saw that the personal computer was coming and they didn't want to miss their chance, and how when they contacted the manufacturer of an early computer they saw in a magazine, they hadn't actually thought about software for it, how he had to employ people older than him because he wasn't old enough to hire a car, etc.

I also didn't realise that he wrote software for the Apple II and was friends with Steve Jobs - I'd assumed that they'd have been rivals.

2. colwynexile

colwynexile Occasional commenter

JJL you should read Job's biography that came out a couple of years ago. Goes through the time with Gates and that he employed him to create Excel for the Mac, but ended up utilising an apple-style gui for windows. It's not the usual apple-worship book, giving a 'blemish'-and-all account (not everything, but enough to know he could be a cantankerous git)