1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bilingual and 'rent a name' schools

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by mightyb, Apr 20, 2019.

1. mightyb

mightyb New commenter

Hi all, I'm not currently looking for work but I am intrigued about some discussions on this forum. I've read that some people think it's best to avoid schools with Bilingual in their name. Please can someone explain exactly why? Are they really all that bad? Also, I've also seen reference to 'rent a name' schools - does that just mean schools with no genuine link to their namesakes and are they really so awful? I am interested to know more. Many thanks.

2. february31st

february31st Established commenter

3. aideng

aideng New commenter

I work in a bilingual school in China, and I like it. I do not have as much experience, or as many contacts as our man @february31st, but do know that different teachers fit differently into different schools, and schools make differing amounts of effort to cater and care for their teachers. Try and read reviews, get in contact with current teachers though your recruiter, and beware warning signs like many job postings turning up at the same time (although new schools that are increasing their roll are going to need to be hiring progressively more teachers as time goes on).

Since I work in a fairly new school, there are things that i have to work around like a lack of set curriculum, and having to source my own teaching resources. Since I have enough experience to do this though, and am confident planning my course,

mightyb likes this.
  4. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Oh **** I am going to have to sit down for several hours and write this all down!

Any chance of the TES paying me for my journalistic talents?

mightyb likes this.
  5. aideng

aideng New commenter

haha. I know you have been making sure to warn people for some time about the dangers of these start up schools Feb31, and I hope everyone takes your warnings seriously. I know I will if I need to move school. I just wanted to say it is not all doom and gloom.

I will admit though that my school is part of a wider network, and is not a rent-a-name as such; merely bilingual.

Thanks for all your info so far matey.

6. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

New schools in these kind of networks are often given more leeway in the first few years than others. However, the teachers and SLT are happily bumbling along, doing good work, then bam. The chain comes in, cuts salaries, teachers, and raises class sizes etc. I've heard that story so many times over the years. So good luck, although I'm sure your place will be nothing like that . . .

7. aideng

aideng New commenter

Hope not indeed. Only time will tell I suppose. Sounds like you have has some not so fun personal experience of this kind of chicanery.....?